PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR is missing Windows XP

awoof
12-08-2003, 09:04 PM
I have 2 hard drives in a Win XP computer.The O/S is on the C drive(40gb) and i have used Drive Image to create an image which i have put on a 120 gb drive that consists of 3, 40gb drives ,G, H, I. The image has been restored into the I drive.
I have changed the 120gb drive to the master drive and the 40gb to the slave and when i boot the computer i get this error - NTLDR is missing.
Do i have to change the C drive to something else and then change the I drive to the C drive so that when i boot up the system recognize it

PoWa
12-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi, I think that error occurs because Drive Image didn't copy the Master Boot Record onto the new drive.

Way to fix: Clear the first partition on the new drive and leave it as unused disk space.

Do an install of Xp Pro again, so it will make a new MBR for you. (Try just letting it go through the first part of the install where you decide where to put XP and it copies the files onto the drive). That should be the stage where it makes the MBR. Let it reboot. (If that won't work do the full WinXP install)

Now put in Drive Image, and copy your image over to the XP partition. You'll have to delete the one you just made, but nevermind cos you now have the MBR which is what you want.

Done!

----
I'm sure there is some way to copy the MBR to the new drive, sum1 will think of it no doubt. :) That's one way anyway

Chilling_Silently
13-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Try removing the old HDD.

Now, reboot and begin the Installation off the XP CD, but dont actually install it.
It should prompt you to either repair or install XP when its found your "Previous install's of Windows", so choose repair.

Now, let it run through its processes that it wants to do.. Im pretty sure I got given the option for 4 things to be checked, one was the boot-loader so make sure that's ticked!

Should only take about 15 mins tops to get the repair done, from A - Z :-)

Cheers

Chill.

awoof
25-08-2003, 11:04 PM
i tried both suggestions but I'm afraid they both never solved the problem.
Once i have saved the files that i want i will format all hard drives and reconstruct the whole computer.

Thankyou both for your help

PoWa
25-08-2003, 11:42 PM
oh, try this one too from the repair prompt as before.

Type in:
fixboot

See if that writes a new bootsector onto the hard drive for you.

otherwise backup your data and go for a full reinstall.

Chris Randal
26-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I am not sure if this helps but I get the same response when I try to booy up with a floppy in the a drive.

Win NT4

Chris

hamstar
26-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Could help but go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and click on the DLL/OCX/VXD FILES links.

vk_dre
26-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Exactly the same problem happened to me maybe a year ago, chek this forum for that topic, there should be two topics on it, newyas i fixed it bye copying the ntldr dir from the WinXP Cd to floppy on my friends comp then booted up the comp wiv the floppy drive and it loaded then all i had to do was copy the file to the specific dir in windows. I can't really remember the whole process but it was long.

From memory it was
"Well if ur using xp this problem can be fixed quite easily, first of all load the win xp cd into ur cdrom and restart the comp, when the computer comes to the ntldr missing screen then press enter and u will go into the basic dos mode, from there type c: then type D: copy ntdetect.com C: D: is the cdrom drive, then type D: copy boot.ini C:. Then type D:copy ntldr C:, then is should work, if it says to replace a file do so then if that doesn’t work u will need a friend who has win xp as well, now go to ur friend and take a floppy disk now ask him to copy these three files + make sure that u have enabled the viewing of hidden or system files:
1.boot.ini
2.ntdetect.com
3.ntldr

now once they have been copied to floppy go back and disable the viewing of hidden or system files. Now bootup ur comp and go into bios by hitting the delete key and go into cmos setting (I think) and set the floppy drive as the first bootup device. No restart and keep the floppy in the drive and when the comp restarts it should bootup properly to windows and from their copy the three files from the floppy to the c drive. Hopefully should work."