PDA

View Full Version : Broken PCI BUS

Tulkas
12-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Hello, I have a new P4 Gigabyte motherboard. 512MB RAM 3.06P4 HT processor. I Installed it all myself and because the cable was not long enough I attached my CD-ROM to IDE-0 and my Harddrive to IDE-1 on the first cable. Booted up turned on. Installed windows 2000 and discovered my PCI bus does not work. The shop I brought it from has told me that the reason that my PCI bus doesn't work is because of my harddrive and cd-rom installation. That this damaged my I/O chip. This sounds wrong to me, but I would like some more opinions. Thnkyou.

Mike
12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Yes they are wrong and sound to me like they're trying to get out of any responsibility. Go back to them and tell them that there's no way the setup could have damaged your motherboard (unless it's been physically damaged or twisted).

Mike.

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes they are wrong. Be interesting to ask them to show you in the manual that states you must have hard drive on IDE0 etc.. otherwise damage will result. :D

tweak\'e
12-08-2003, 08:08 PM
you can't damage the mobo by putting the hardrive on the secondary ide, worse thing that can happen is a posibiity of it not booting. also the pci bus has nothing to do with the ide connections anyway.

how do you know the PCI bus dosn't work?

Tulkas
13-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Cheers thanks that's what I thought and also what I told them. In answer to your question, I tried several different network cards and a firewire card all of which worked and were detected on other machines in my household and they all worked fine. None of them were even detected on my machine except on the very end PCI slot and then the cards still did not work. Everything was new except for the harddrive. Pah! Cheers anyway

godfather
13-08-2003, 12:09 AM
I assume you actually loaded all the motherboard drivers, including the bus drivers?

Lohsing
13-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Slightly off topic, but what shop did you buy it from? They could argue that because you installed it yourself, then they could claim you damaged the motherboard through inexperience??

Just a thought...

Lo.

Tulkas
13-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Yes all drivers were loaded and win2k updated to service pack3, I would of updated to 4 but my bus didn't work and hence my network card so no internet. -sigh

Tulkas
13-08-2003, 12:24 PM
I brought it from gamma computers (www.gamma.co.nz) on Newton road auckland.

John Grieve
13-08-2003, 12:37 PM
In a fair few motherboard BIOS's nowadays they have a setting to do with APIC (not the ACPI setting which is something completely different!).

This APIC has something very technical to do with IRQ assignment/control by the OS. Often on machines I have dealt with lately disabling this APIC in the BIOS can clear problems like this. Give it a whirl to see if it helps.