PDA

View Full Version : OT: People Search

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Hello, as you may know, I'm s...t....i...l...l... doing my research for careers. Also I'm doing this unit as part of Health now too.

*Have you made any progress?* I hear you ask

YES! I have. Its going to be something in the Finance (including Accounting) or Legal Field.

So I'd like to know if theres anyone out there who could help me out. The people I'm looking for are:

Auditor
Corporate Lawyer
Financial Accountant
Management Accountant
Banker with management roles
Any other Lawyer or Banker or Accountant

I'm interested in doing a BCom/LLB conjoint. I need help in regards to approximate salary (not expecting exact figures) Employment opportunaties, experience, uni course structure, etc. As for courses, I will most likely be at Akl Uni.

Please leave email, MSN Messenger, ICQ no. and state what they are referring to

Many many many many many *stop here* thanks,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 06:20 PM
As for law, I'm also looking for some case examples, e.g.

Corporate Lawyer:
Client wanting to sue xxx company for wrong doing under xxx Act

Any more specific ones? Thanks

Baldy
12-08-2003, 06:58 PM
SY there is a web site called Kiwi Careers

www.kiwicareers.govt.nz

This will give you all the info you want re the criteria you have specified on your posting. Any good careers adviser would have given you the url

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your reply,

I was well aware of this website. I am now beyond that point of receiving "overall information". I would like to talk to some people who are actually in the jobs themselves.

Baldy
12-08-2003, 08:28 PM
well good luck in finding them on here lol

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Hmm... interesting, I'd thought that legal and finance was one of the bigger industries. ?:|

Are we becoming umemployed now?

Winston001
12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Well actually Baldy and Wiggly SY, I fit one of your criteria viz. the Law.
It's rather difficult to know quite what you are looking for but I am happy to help.
To study law you need good written and oral language skills. The oral part can be learned but you need good English marks at school to really cope with the study and content at University.
You need a sense of curiosity and an argumentative bent ie. enjoy it.
Frankly it helps to be willing to be confrontational too. This is the hard part - representing someone who cannot stand up for themselves (shy people, intimidated wives) against an aggressive party who attacks the lawyer because they cannot get at the victim.
The Police face this everyday and you can see in a newly minted constable the full frontal approach they are taught in Police College to project confidence. Not much help in a legal office.

By osmosis, studying law develops an analytical approach to problems- any problem. This can be a bit rough on your friends and significant others leading to astonishing accusations of arrogance etc but its a burden you have to bear when you are right. Sigh.....

Anyway, I'm going to stop there because I believe we have TOO MANY LAWYERS AND ACCOUNTANTS.

For goodness sake Wiggly - Get a LIFE. Be an engineer, bio-chemist, astrophysicist, farmer - at least you get a chance to add something to the world.;)

Cheers
Winston001

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Well, to be honest, I don't think New Zealand would allow for such extreme activities such as astronomy. If so, in very little numbers anyway.

Been a foreigner, I can honest say that I'm proud to be a Kiwi (by citizenship, as well as living well over half my life here, along with speaking English alot at home) Therefore, I do at times, get annoyed with people who leave such a great place, simply because their country cannot give them the opportunities to succeed.

I could be a medical guy, but *I'm kinda scared by blood and bones* which leaves me with pharmacy and dentistry. With the government changing laws with pharmacy, it does not seem as the way to go. Dentistry on the other hand, is very very competitive, due to the money paid to them.

With engineering, I did want to go into IT as a child, but has since changed my mind. I simply do not believe IT would give me good food and shelter for long, unless some miracles happen *which they do!*:p

I have heard a heck of alot about biochemistry and biomedicine, it seems as if these are the subject to our next era of genetic engineering.

Why too many lawyers and accountant? The reason I'm not so interested in accounting is due to the fact that softwares will probably do them all for us in future. As for law, do you think society will get better as population increase.... Not likely. Also law is also a more traditional and professional job that will last, as I found out.

Don't worry, having interest in law does not mean I'm going to help criminals out of jail. I want to get them in there, but leave the innocents out. Therefore, I guess its bit hard for my mind and heart to be studying the protection of criminals. So, I've chosen corporate, because it can be more debatable, without at real right or wrong at times.

Thanks for your ideas,

Winston001
12-08-2003, 11:27 PM
OK. You can study astrophysics at Canterbury if you are interested.
Your English is fine and you would cope with law.
I think your analysis is interesting as to careers. Accountancy is much more than numbercrunching. In fact they call themselves business advisors these days. Trying to mussel in on lawyers territory.

The arguments for/against more lawyers etc is that arguments grow and more extreme positions are taken because of the desperate need of all the lawyers and accountants to earn a living.

Actually I believe the law is a noble profession and it is the only chance for the individual to stand up for themselves in modern society.
Unfortunately most questions seem to focus on money which I am old-fashioned enough to think is the wrong motivation to pursue one of the only true professions left.

Yes, some lawyers, doctors and All Blacks are very well paid. Others stumble through life- alcoholism, broken marriages, money problems, because there is a price to be paid for taking on other peoples problems. Happily I have avoided these outcomes, but only just.

Corporate law is fairly removed from real life and subject to the success and failure of clients.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Well, really, no offence to anyone, but it is only in my interest to go to either Auckland University (Otago if dentistry) or overseas.

I do understand that accounting is more than numbers. I would not be interested if numbers was all it was. Already, journal and ledger work at secondary school level seems boring enough.

My dream job is to earn a good living through consultancy. Giving advice rather than actually doing it. That is why I am choosing to go conjoint of BCom/LLB

Many many thanks,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-08-2003, 11:45 PM
You also mentioned that money does not come very much into careers.

I have, luckily, slowly got over that. However, I still want a good living, by this I mean very minimum 50k, approx. 80-90k to as much as possible, although not too much, as it billions per year :p

-=JM=-
13-08-2003, 12:27 AM
I'd just like to say that you should do what you want to do, not what someone else thinks you should do. Leave money out of it (or atleast don't rank it highly) money isn't any good when you're not happy because the work you're doing is not much fun to you.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
24-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Why does it seem that people do not like to discuss their legal careers as I've found, any special reasons you guys think?

?:|

Winston001
25-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Well we could show Tony Soprano a thing or two in the Law Society.
I could tell you more secrets but then I'd have to move to South America (or Manukau - same thing) and .......arrrggghhh they found me-

beetle
25-08-2003, 12:35 PM
sy im not really a big one on carrers but in my thinking...

find something you are good at ... that can be a job or hobbie and if its a job or part of a job give it a go.
beat the feet and see if you can get work experience in any of the fields you like. ask about all things, dont wait for it to come to you as it wont.
work hard, learn lots and ask zillions of questions, and if its not you go on to the next thing.

i have put my self through three lots of polytech / uni training and have a whole list of letters behind my name and am not actually working at any of them at moment... instead im supporting my partner in the running of a motel.... probably not my first choice of jobs but i see this as a step in the future, to something i want to do for personal and financial goals,
the aim is me go back to work to support my family as i could earn more than hubby when fully qualified than he did last year and as he has worked dam hard almost to the point of accidental death we decided family and happiness was the most important factor for us.

so find something you could do with a good feeling, and if it pays well thats the bonus. dont let people tell you what you should do, but be willing for change. little things to start may make all the difference at the end.

if you have family or friends that support you that helps, financial stress while studying is not a good feeling either but in todays age student loans seem the norm. have the right attitude and youll go far in any field.

all the best

beetle