PDA

View Full Version : New Install of Win98SE won't update from MS

Odin
12-08-2003, 05:05 PM
I have reinstalled windows 98SE onto a computer I am working on for someone. Upon completing the install I then went to update the OS from the MS Update site which installed it's update file and then proceeded to scan the computers for the updates required. The result came back saying that NO updates were available. Now this has me stumped has MS gone so far up themselves as to completely remove any and ALL support for windows 98 even so far as stopping you from automatically updating the current critical updates and such. Anyhelp would be appreciated eg knowledge as to why this is happening or where I can get the updates without having to download each and everyone separately from MS.

Peter H
12-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Try and find PC User June 2003 issue - an Aussie mag - the cover CD had them all on it - or talk nicely to NZ PC World - they might include them on a future issue.
Bye

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Or go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp) ( till jan 2004)

Odin
12-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Been there already but that invloves having to download each and every update manualy and seperately, something I didn't want to do.

However I have now solved the problem (At least I think this was the cause). On a Hunch I decided to check the date and time in the bios and found that it was set to August 12 2012. Changing this to 2003 I can now access the updates through the update site. MS must have a date cut off point built into its updater program at least that is my theory. Thanks to those that offered some guidence and help.

Peter H
12-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Most of the up dates you don't need - my experience anyway.
Bye

hamstar
12-08-2003, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't download any patches from ms. God knows what they put in their patches nowadays! ;-)

Poppa John
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
I always download the updates. I figure " Better the devil you know than the devil you don't" PJ