PDA

View Full Version : error at POST

gord
12-08-2003, 03:35 PM
At startup, as post is running I recieve the following message-----primary Ide channel, no 80 conductor cable installed----Cosmos checksum error- defaults loaded-------press F1 to continue.

My O.S is win 98 se---SYS is Via tech VT8365.---Duron 750.--- Hard drive 60 gb. 7200. Can you help please...gord.

godfather
12-08-2003, 03:45 PM
> At startup, as post is running I recieve the
> following message-----primary Ide channel, no 80
> conductor cable installed

You are running your HDD (assuming its on the Primary IDE cable) on a 40 core flat ribbon cable when it would prefer an 80 core flat ribbon cable. It may be limiting the speed of data transfer. A cable will cost about $16.

>Cosmos checksum error-
> defaults loaded-------press F1 to continue.

Your CMOS battery probably needs replacing ($3 or $4 at your supermarket). Look on your motherboard, silver battery about the size of a $1 coin under a clip.

Graham L
12-08-2003, 04:36 PM
The cable "error" might be just confusion in the BIOS code because the checksum is wrong. When the checksum error happens, it means it's lost the lot. :D

The most likely cause for that is the battery, though I've done it with Kamikaze code. :D Try doing a "save and exit" from the BIOS setup. If you get the error again after it's been turned off overnight, the battery is dead. (The CMOS memory requires such a minute amount of power that it will stay valid for quite a while after the computer has been on.)