PDA

View Full Version : 5 Port Switch. Adapter the best choice?

Rockman
12-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi,

Im fairly new about switches, and I found a reasonbly priced (for my budget) 5 port switch.

Question is, is a PCI switch a good choice? Or should I be corrected in saying a 5 Port Switch Hub Adaptor.

Any recommendations anyone?

Thanks
Ricardo

godfather
12-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Why not use an external switch? A PCI one will require that the PC be on before the Network will work. An external switch will give better operating flexibility, but we do not know how you intend to configure your network.

We are talking about an ethernet switch here I assume?

Rockman
12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
> Why not use an external switch? A PCI one will
> require that the PC be on before the Network will
> work. An external switch will give better operating
> flexibility, but we do not know how you intend to
> configure your network.

Ok, that answers my question. I will go for the external choice.

> We are talking about an ethernet switch here I
> assume?

Hm..Who knows? Except for some one like yourself......

How about clicking this link and maybe this might shed some light.
http://www.xpcomputer.co.nz/part.asp?id=11

So this is the right switch for me, if I want to connect only 2 computers and 1 Printer and maybe another PC in the future ?

Thanks
Ricardo

godfather
12-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Looks OK (cheap!)

It doesnt specify the speed, but it uses the magic word "switch".
The difference between a switch and a hub (apart from price, hub being cheapest and switch being dearest) is that a switch should give higher network speeds.

I use a hub at 10 Mb/s for connecting several PCs, printer and ADSL router. Its fine for that use. If I was transferring huge amounts of data I would use a 10/100 Mb/s switch. But I am not.

Murray P
12-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Have a look for it on Xnet or do a Google. There should be words used to describe it like; auto sensing, uplink port, 10/100. As per GF, go the external type.

HTH Murray P

Rockman
12-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info.

Obviously, I need to spend a little more time on researching about Switches. Can you recommend (or anybody else out there) on the important things I should consider?

From some of the things, I can see so frar after reading the posts show that speed, autosensing, uplink port, 10/100 must be important!

Like as I am fairly new to this thing, I hope someone can give me a helping hand without too much hi tech jargon.

Thanks
Ricardo.

*Note: And yes I will use Google to find other materials.

PoWa
12-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Are you still on 56k?? I'd do an investment and upgrade to ADSL at the same time. An ADSL router with 4port 10/100 switch, like the Dynalink RTA300 is very good value for money. You can always add more access points into the router later.

Just an idea..

Murray P
12-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Just letting you know what to look for rather than get a hub or something passed off as a switch. Another usefull thing is N-Way. It is all about how the switch looks at the data packets for efficient forwarding to the destination although it doesn't make a whole heap of difference for day to day data exchange between 2 or 3 comps or browsing the net. The uplink port avoids having to use a cross over cable to daisy chain another device. Have a wander around here (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci283991,00.html) for some clarification of the terms.

Cheers Murray P

Rockman
13-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi Murray,

Yeah thanks for that.

Not to discredit Powa in anyway, but I would not be able to afford an ADSL at the time being, and also having to pay $60.00 per month, is beyond my budget. As to why, I thought maybe a switch would be more convinient.

I will look up at that site.