PDA

View Full Version : w32pate.b virus problems

miknz
12-08-2003, 10:10 AM
I found in the weekend that i have the win32.pate.b virus on my system, this virus has infected all my .exe files. I ran mcafee antivirus and had the list of all infected files and acidentally clicked on delete instead of clean.

So as you can imagine i am now in the ****. I have reinstallrd ie but i have lost all the system program exe files like wordpad etc.
also found that dial up networking wont run i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling t but it still wont work. so i have no net at home. Is there anything I can do to get the core exe files back without running the hp cleanup disk? Can anyone help???

running win98

Thanks Mike

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Would suggest for a start to go start-run and type in SFC /SCAN Just ensure that your win98 CD is in the drive. This will check the win98 system files and replace any that are different than on the CD or missing.
You may then require to re-install Internet Explorer again after this, if it didn't cure the problems.

miknz
12-08-2003, 12:38 PM
I did as you said and it came back wiuth a window saying that "this device or some of its components are missing" or words to that effect.

I tried running the restore apps. disk. I inserted the disk in the drive and turned off the pc waited a minute or so and rebooted and the system didnt go into restore mode like it should? any ideas on how to fix this