PDA

View Full Version : MSN6, old and new versions

krafty
12-08-2003, 05:00 AM
Downloaded MSN6 but now have two versions on PC, V6 and V4.7. Unable to log on through 4.7 anymore since I used the add/remove Windows components applet on it, but it still appears on my system tray with an x through it. Running OE6, it used to bring up any of my contacts on line in the contacts box, now doesn't do that, it seems to be looking for V4.7 still.
How do I
1) get rid of V4.7 completely?
2) get the integration with OE6 working again?
OS is XP Pro

Mike
12-08-2003, 09:18 AM
How did you uninstall Messenger 4.7 from the add/remove programs? It shouldn't have been in there, and is a lot harder to remove than just through add/remove programs as it is apparently a key part of Win XP Pro (when I had it on there it wouldn't even let me close it down!)

The reason you have two icons is that Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6 are two different programs (a key hint to that is the name). Windows Messenger's latest release is still 4.7, with version 5 currently in Beta. You could probably still use 4.7 if you tried to :)

Mike.

Chilling_Silently
12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
If you look on Google, you can find a Beta download rather easily.

Version 5 is a lot like version 6 of MSN Messenger....

Have a search on PressF1 for more information on actually Removing Windows Messenger :-)

krafty
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
I removed it by going control panel/add or remove programs/add or remove windows components, it was the bottom of the list, I just unticked the box and the wizard took it from there. Didn't remove it completely though obviously.
What a wierd system, it was the messenger program itself that prompted the upgrade. It's almost identical to look at including the icon in the tray and obviously share the same data as my contact lists were migrated across.
The second, V 4.7 icon doesn't show up till I open OE or IE so they're linked into that somehow. I use it to keep in touch with my family overseas and my sister tells me that she just followed the upgrade prompt and only has one icon, the (who's on line) contact list shows up in OE as before. (she's using XP Home)
Must be a lot of other confused people out there too!
Krafty

PoWa
12-08-2003, 04:25 PM
> It shouldn't have been in there, and is a lot harder to remove than just through add/remove programs as it is apparently a key part of Win XP Pro (when I had it on there it wouldn't even let me close it down!)

Most likely you had Norton Antivirus going with MSN protection turned on in the options. That definitely stops you from turning it off.

Mike
12-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Running XP Pro... it's never been an option to uninstall. Not even now with my running the Beta of v5. If you install another version (eg MSN Messenger) then you're more likely to have an uninstall option.

Mike.

toxicbass°
13-08-2003, 03:00 PM
LOL i installed msn 1.0,for retro reasons,and then my msn 4 wouldnt open! :P its gone all stupid overwriting it or something..

,no worries,i formatted pc anyway,but il be using the oldest version of msn that has fonts :)

www.oldversion.com

:^)

vk_dre
13-08-2003, 07:05 PM
U should have removed it like this,

Run the line of code below in the run dialog and MSN Messenger will uninstall

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

cheers,
v.K

Kiwitas
13-08-2003, 08:00 PM
The following may seem long-winded,but there is a lot of confusion as to
what "Messenger"users have installed!

I copied this from another forum just recently and hopefully it has the option you want?

Windows Messenger is a Windows XP-only product. By default, it is installed in Windows XP. Version 4.7.0.41
It supports video calls, application sharing, shared whiteboard, and Remote Assistance.
Windows Messenger makes use of some technologies that are built into Windows XP, such as acoustic echo cancellation, reduced latency, and high bandwidth codecs.

MSN Messenger is for Macintosh, Windows 95/98/98SE, Windows Me, and Windows 2000--not Windows XP.
It's for older operating systems and shouldn't be installed on Windows XP.

* They both support instant messaging, voice calls, file transfers, and are interoperable so that users who have Windows Messenger can communicate with users who have MSN Messenger.

Windows Messenger Service is a service that transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is "not" related to Windows Messenger. In their initial state, Microsoft Windows operating systems (98, ME, XP, 2000,NT) allow anyone on the internet to pop up Windows on your screen. There is no need for them to know anything about your computer and your computer does not care who does it.

Even less savory individuals may pop up messages on your screen that try to fool you into taking actions that may not bein your best interest.

You can get rid of MSN Messenger and stick with Windows Messenger if you like that program.

To Remove MSN Messenger:

1. Click the MSN Messenger icon in the taskbar, and then click Exit.
2. Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
4. Select MSN Messenger from the list and click the Add/Remove button.

To remove Windows Messenger:

Note: If SP1 is installed this tip is pointless. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove Messenger
Method 1
MSN Messenger does not appear in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
To make it appear there, you need to edit the file named sysoc.inf.
In XP, go to Start | My Computer | C Drive | Windows | Inf and look for that file called sysoc.inf.
You can open that file by right clicking on it and choosing "open with", and pick notepad. Look for the following line:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

and remove the word "hide" while leaving the commas on place.
It will then look like this:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Close and save the file, and then open the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel, so that you can remove it like any other program.

Method 2
Click Start | Run] and in the box type or copy/paste the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection%windir%\INF\msmsgs.in f,BLC.Remove
Click

Disable Windows Messenger in Windows XP

You can keep Windows Messenger, but prevent it from loading when the system starts:

First method
In Outlook Express go to TOOLS | WINDOWS MESSENGER | OPTIONS | PREFRENCES and in the general area uncheck both "Run this program when windows starts" and "Allow this program to run in the background." After doing this IM does not load on startup and Outlook Express loads as usual.

Second method
If you're running Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor GPEDIT.MSC to prevent Messenger from loading. Otherwise, even disabling it in startup won't cause it to "always" not run. Outlook, OE and some MS web pages can still make it load.

Start | Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

For "per machine" restriction, go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger.

For "per user" restriction, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger.

You can now modify whether it starts initially and/or whether its to run at all.

Third Method
This is my favorite method for fooling Windows XP into not being able to launch Messenger. The default location for Windows Messenger is C:\Program Files\Messenger. When XP wants to fire up Messenger it will try and access the files at the default location. To prevent Messenger from loading, just rename the Messenger folder to something new; MessengerDisabled has worked for me. If you want to use Messenger at some point down the road, simply rename the folder to Messenger and you're back in business.

To Disable Windows Messenger Service:

<http://www.dvdsqueeze.com/windowsmessage.htm>

To Delete Windows Messenger Service:

<http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm>

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

vk_dre
13-08-2003, 10:43 PM
thats a fairly long list there kiwitas.................:D

Kiwitas
14-08-2003, 11:55 AM
> thats a fairly long list there
> kiwitas.................:D

It's only because of the confusion on what "Messenger"other users
have installed?

As I pointed out on the other thread"windows messenger" that to un-install,
users will probably use your method anyway!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

vk_dre
15-08-2003, 12:27 AM
> > thats a fairly long list there
> > kiwitas.................:D
>
> It's only because of the confusion on what
> "Messenger"other users
> have installed?
>
> As I pointed out on the other thread"windows
> messenger" that to un-install,
> users will probably use your method anyway!

There is an FAQ written for this rite?

toxicbass°
15-08-2003, 05:56 AM
who wouldve known that you have to know secret codes just to enjoy peace and quiet and control over your pc!

i did disable my xp messaging thing when pop up messages would appear,.. :-p

msn 6.0 bah

-go the luddites-