PDA

View Full Version : Intel Application Accelerator

Jen C
11-08-2003, 10:02 PM
I was looking through my motherboard manual tonight, and I remembered that I hadn't got around to installing the Intel Application Accelerator (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/reasons.htm) software when I first put the PC together.

I was wondering whether this software offers any real benefit or is it more of a gimmicky thing. What are your opinions?

Cheers
Jen

Mobo: ASUS P4PE with Intel 845PE chipset
CPU: P4 2.4 GHz

Mike
11-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Nice Mobo :)

The IAA I think only works with Pentium series CPUs (I've got a Celeron and it doesn't do anything for that), but as far as I'm aware it's supposed to do quite a bit. I'd be interested to learn your results when you get some :)

Mike.

Lohsing
11-08-2003, 11:42 PM
When burning CD's using Nero, I find Intel Application Accelerator controls the buffer much better.

When it isn't installed, can cause all sorts of problems with Nero and buffer constantly dropping down to zero before refilling to halfway?? Something I noticed on my Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard.

Lo.

Jen C
12-08-2003, 09:46 PM
OK folks, I have installed the Intel Application Accelerator now ...

I did some benchmarking using SisoftSandra (2003.1.9.28) before and after the installation, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the figures:

Dhrystone - MIPS
before: 6223
after: 6328

Whetstone FPU/iSSE2 - MFLOPS
before: 1383/3156
after: 1390/3161

Lohsing
12-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Nice marks! :) I'm slightly under using a Gigabyte GA-8INXP with 2.4Ghz.

Lo.

b1naryb0y
12-08-2003, 10:35 PM
That's correct you wouldn't have notice much difference before and after because the tests you ran are to test your cpu.

Intel Application Accelerator will not improve your cpu benchmarks. When you install Intel Application Accelerator basically all it does is install new Hard Drive Controller drivers and a device driver that interfaces with this to deliver better disk IO performance and therefore better application loading times (in theory)

Jen C
12-08-2003, 11:03 PM
> That's correct you wouldn't have notice much
> difference before and after because the tests you ran
> are to test your cpu.

Doh! :D. That obviously explains that then!

I actually ran more test than just the CPU ones, including the File System benchmark, but they didn't show much difference either. A bit all goobly-gook to me.

Nevermind :)