PDA

View Full Version : Can Win98Se support P4 HT?

Jase1
11-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi

I would just like to ask, can Win98Se support P4 HT CPU series? This is because I read a article a while ago (donno where from) saying something about that to get the best out of P4 HT CPUs it is better run WinXP Home or Pro. And said something about that they had to get a lisence or something to get it running on Win2000. So it kinda made me wonder if I can run Win98Se on a P4 HT CPU. And also later in the article it said something about that you always have to keep the CPU busy (always multi-tasking) to get the best use out of the P4 HT CPUs? Or else its would not perform as fast as it suppose to be. For example, 2 P4 CPUs at 2.53Ghz, one is normal and another is a HT type, if both CPUs load a programe, the normal P4 would load the programe faster, but if both CPUs load 2 progames, the HT P4 would load faster. Is this true?

Thanks alot

Jase Sen

robsonde
11-08-2003, 08:09 PM
win98se will run on a p4-HT but will not run in HT mode.

HT is a form of multi CPU and as such you need an OS that support "multi threading" OSs that support this are win2000,win XP, linux

the way that HT make the system faster is basicly thatwhen two or more programs are running the OS can run then on two CPU insted or "time shareing" one CPU

the other thing is getting apps the will take advantage on HT.

if you are going for a P4 then get XP home or pro.

??
does XP home support HT? me thinks it does but you should check first....
??

Mike
11-08-2003, 08:20 PM
> win98se will run on a p4-HT but will not run in HT
> mode.

Correct. :)

> HT is a form of multi CPU and as such you need an OS
> that support "multi threading" OSs that support this
> are win2000,win XP, linux
> the way that HT make the system faster is basicly
> thatwhen two or more programs are running the OS can
> run then on two CPU insted or "time shareing" one
> CPU

Almost, but not quite. You missed a key point robsonde :) The fact that Hyperthreading is still only using one CPU -

"Hyper-Threading Technology is a form of simultaneous multi-threading technology (SMT)(which is basis behind multi-processors) where multiple threads of software applications can be run simultaneously on one processor." (Source - Intel).

> the other thing is getting apps the will take
> advantage on HT.

Most software AFAIK don't support SMT so you wouldn't get much advantage out of HT or multi-CPUs.

Cheers,

Mike.

Jase1
11-08-2003, 08:56 PM
So P4 HT CPUs can be switch to like a normal P4 with HT off? Since P4 HT FSB runs at 800mhz if it's switched off, would the FSB still be set/run at 800mhz?

Thanks alot

Jase

Mike
11-08-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't think that the hyperthreading has much to do with the FSB, so I'd assume it'll still run at 800mhz.

Mike.

PoWa
11-08-2003, 10:00 PM
> Most software AFAIK don't support SMT so you wouldn't get much advantage out of HT or multi-CPUs.

Apparently with multi cpu's you can make the operating system and smaller programs run off one processor, then dedicate the other processor for say a cpu hungry computer game.

Jase1
11-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Till now all the P4 HT CPUs that I've seen the FSB on them are all running at 800mhz. And the non-HT P4 CPUs either runs at 400mhz or 533mhz so does that mean turning off HT (if possible ?:| ) won't mean that I have to lower the FSB from 800mhz all the way down to 533mhz?

Thanks

Jase Sen

Mike
11-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Just because it's an HT CPU doesn't mean it's RUNNING as an HT CPU. If it's an 800Mhz CPU and your board can handle that, then there's no problem. If your board is compatible with HT then even better.

Mike.