PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm and Laptops

Smurf
11-08-2003, 03:51 PM
I use Zone Alarm (free edition) on my desktop and wanted to use it on my laptop: Celeron 2.2 gig 256RAM running Windows XP Home. On going to the Zone Alarm site, it is indicated that the free edition is not suitable for laptops. Does anyone know why? Is there anyone using ZA on their laptop and how does it function?

tweak\'e
11-08-2003, 04:06 PM
za pro has auto config for networks which is very handy for laptops which are reconnected to different networks. with the free you have to set it manually. other than that theres nothing stopping you useing the free edition.

godfather
11-08-2003, 04:08 PM
They tell you clearly on their site why they say that: (in the "Help" link)

"Laptops are especially vulnerable because they may connect to a number of different networks depending on their location. Firewall software for laptops must be able to "auto-detect" networks and provide appropriate protection."

Smurf
11-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Thank you tweak'e and Godfather - it therefore appears that if you aren't likely to connect to various networks the free addition will suffice or alternatively you would need to manually configure the programme when connecting to different networks.