PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a 128 Mb graphics card for a laptop.

PressF1 User
11-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Looking for a 128 Mb graphics card for a future laptop (not sure what laptop yet). Any idea of the costs involved for a good card?
An example would be the ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 128MB DDR card - how much would this one cost and where could it be bought from? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers PF1 :-)

Pheonix
11-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Thinking laptops...think buy it with video card. They make them so small because everything is manufactured on the motherboard. Usually upgrades are limited to memory and hard drive. They don't come with AGP sockets I'm afraid.
This is from my own experience, and maybe others know of possibilities for you that I don't.

PressF1 User
11-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Yes I'm aware that they come with viseo cards but usually no more than 64 Mb... I'm after a 128 Mb card such as the Radeon 9000 card. I need advice on te costs involved. Thanks.

Pete O\'Neil
11-08-2003, 12:39 PM
you can't upgrade the video on a laptop. It is unlikely that there are any laptop's with more than 64mb of video ram. nVidia and ATI are both releasing/released new mobile versions of the Geforce FX5600 and the Radeon 9600, these may come with 128mb option but i dont know.

PressF1 User
11-08-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm not wanting to upgrade the video as I don't have a suitable laptop yet, rather I'm wanting it preinstalled, or if not, how much for this card in NZ dollars.

There is a gaming laptop put out by Alienware that has a Radeon 128 Mb card installed but I'm wanting purchase something locally.

tweak\'e
11-08-2003, 02:53 PM
they don't make cards for laptops as such. simply go find a laptop with the chipset you want in it. i would say that its gong to be exspensive assuming they even make laptops with those chipsets.

nomad
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
A quick glance, Dell has a 128MB FX video card inside one of its laptop.

Go have a look.
www.dell.co.nz

The cards comes inside a laptop, you cannot get the video card separately.

N

Graham L
11-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Probably the only way you'll fit a video card to a lap top is with a docking cradle which has slots (if such things are still made). :D Have a look at a laptop. A "card" has a backplate, which is nearly wider than the whole body of the laptop is thick. They are that thin because all the electronics are on one board (with the possible exception of memory). The disk drives are specially made. The batteries are specially made.

Decide on a video standard you want, then buy the laptop which has that standard built into it. (Or lower your expectations if the laptop is too expensive. :D)

kiwibeat
11-08-2003, 04:43 PM
laptops are not really designed for gaming too much heat lack of cooling poer etc also way too dear expect to pay 3x what a desk top costs with the same power .
latest and greatest laptops on tech tv costs about $2500 upwards that US $

PressF1 User
12-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.
Had a read of the latest 'Maximum PC' mag today and saw that Alienware has just put out a real beast of a laptop. It runs a 3.2 Ghz chip with 128 graphics card (upgradable), with 800 Mhz FSB.
I now know my xmas request (any takers hehe).

Pete O\'Neil
12-08-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm goin to try and explain this to you as best i can because you dont seem to be grasping the idea. Laptops dont have Video Cards, they have a graphics chipset that is intergrated into the motherboard, just like onboard video on a desktop. Generally laptop GFX suck and are no good for gaming. This may change with the release of the mobile ATI Radeon 9600 and nVidia Geforce FX5600. They are never upgradeable, and any ad that refers to upgradablitly is refering to the amount of ram allocated to preformed video related tasks. Video ram is normally shared with the system ram, once again just like onboard video on a desktop. So for example if you have 512mb of system ram and you have 128mb for the video then in reality you only have 384mb avaliable for regular use. Now what it means by upgradeable is that in the BIOS it will have the option to allocate more ram to the video chipset. In my personal opinion this will make no differance what so ever to preformance as currently there are very few if not any programs that would be used on a laptop that require more than 128mb of ram.

godfather
12-08-2003, 06:00 PM
You can look at that Laptop on Alienware's web page.

You have a configuration choice of a 128 MB Mobility Radeon, or ..... a 128 MB Mobility Radeon.. i.e. no choice.

In other words, you buy it with the video chipset welded to the motherboard as explained many times above.

Make your decision at purchase time as to what Notebook you buy and thats it. Apart from RAM upgrades, which are plug-in, chipsets usually are not plug-in due to reliability of connections on mobile devices.

kiwibeat
16-08-2003, 02:39 PM
latest and greatest laptops for gamers are available in the USA and yes you can upgrade thie graphics cards but the cost is way over $5000 NZ

PressF1 User
16-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks Kiwibeat

PF1 :-)