PDA

View Full Version : TV on your PC .. worth it?

Hawk
11-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Hi,

Although I've been online for several years I'm relatively new to the "Watching TV on your PC" thing...

Is it good? is it worth getting a Tuner card and doing so?, does it take up massive amount of cpu resources in doing so?

Some feedback from people in the know would be good..

Thanks!

godfather
11-08-2003, 01:11 AM
> Is it good?

Its not "quite" as good as a TV, but close.

> is it worth getting a Tuner card and
> doing so?,

If you want to watch TV in a "window' on your PC, yes

> does it take up massive amount of cpu
> resources in doing so?

It depends, mostly on the TV card and compatability with your graphics adapter. If they are compatable, then the loading is minimal however "full screen" and non compatability can stress a cpu somewhat.

I can get 100% CPU usage at full screen on a 2GHz P4 (no overlay compatability)
At 95% full screen only 20% CPU. Your mileage may vary.

One thing however you do need a good outside aerial for a reasonable picture, as the PC generates a lot of local interference. Don't consider an internal aerial.

Hawk
11-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey thanks for your reply,

What card would you recommend?

IS it only certain cards that pick up whisper: (sky) ? hehe or do all them with the right software?

I have a fairly new system.

Thanks

godfather
11-08-2003, 01:29 AM
I don't know what cards are around at the moment.

Will they get Sky?? You must be able to receive the encrypted UHF channels if they are transmitted in your area, they occupy a normal channel slot, your card will pick them up just like your TV will.

A card is only a TV tuner after all. I could not comment on decoding software of course, as I know nothing about such matters ....

Tobas
11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Hawk, i can highly recommend a Dynalink CPH061, comes with a remote,does the teletext thing and ovelay mode works well on WinME, probably does for other versions as well. The CPH051 comes with a built in FM Radio, I think.

It has the right chipset (BX) that allows decoding of 'free to air' TV. though of course special software is required, but could probably be found searching google.

I run mine full screen with no adverse effects. If I want to use the PC for work at the same time, the TV goes into a box which can be any size at all.

As GF suggested, an outside antenna is essential.

The CPH051 or 061 are not easy to find, possibly because they are very good and no one wants to part with them :-).

PressF1 User
11-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Yes worth it.
I have been using a Pinnacle PCTV USB TV Tuner for the past 3 years and find it great. The tuner has drivers for Win 98 / 2000 but also works fine on Win XP as a tuner only - meaning - that the card also comes with a FM tuner and teletext (which they call webtext) that do work under Win 98 / 2000. At full screen it only uses 42 % system resources and I'm running it on a 450 Mhz system. It helps not to run the card with other programs running if you are recording from TV.

If you are interested in a USB Tuner then you can have a look at the newer Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe USB 2.0. It has teletext as well but no radio tuner. It also comes with a remote control. Cost is NZ $456 and can be bought from Ascent.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1008&Langue_ID=7

Cheers PF1 :-)

Hawk
11-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all your replies....

1 question remains.....

Which card is recommened? within a decent price range, no more than $ 200 I use Win XP

I've seen a lot of the LEADTEK WinFast TV2000XP card, is it any good?

metla
11-08-2003, 10:50 AM
The Leadtek is an excellent card and the software is top notch as well.

Although you would want to get the latset release off the leadtek site.

SKT174
11-08-2003, 11:17 AM
The Leadtek Winfast 2000 is good .. get the Deluxe version not the expert version if you want to get *cough cough* sky.

:)

Fire-and-Ice
11-08-2003, 05:23 PM
If no one minds, I have a question or two...

> It helps not to run the card with other programs running if you are recording from TV.

Does that mean that you can record programs to your hard drive like you would to a video recorder?

> It has teletext as well

Teletext and subtitles/captioning?

If answer to that question is yes, can the subtitles be recorded to the hard drive as well?

BootyLicious
11-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Q.Does that mean that you can record programs to your hard drive like you would to a video recorder?

A.Hell yes then you can edit it or burn it to cd, even better than a video recorder.
__________________________________________________ ______

Q.Teletext and subtitles/captioning?

If answer to that question is yes, can the subtitles be recorded to the hard drive as well?

A. i would say what you see is what you will record.

Fire-and-Ice
11-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks for those answers Booty, it sounds good.

The reason I am asking about being able to record the captions onto the hard drive is because you can't do it with a video recorder, so it is not "what you see is what you get" with that, unfortunately. There are video recorders available (overseas?) that can do it but at a price no doubt.

caffy
11-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah, you're right there Fire-and-Ice.

We have a Grundig VCR, im not sure what model it is, but it can copy subtitles. This had to be brought in from Germany, through a local shop, since none of the other makers (at that time anyway) made VCR's that can record subtitles.

THe problem with it was that recently a part broke in it, and it was an expensive part! So my dad reasoned "we'll buy a newer model, this one's gettin a bit old" so he asked the same shop (i think) to import another grundig model. Bad news - they don't make models that can record subtitles anymore :(

So my dad ended up buying a new expensive part.

When i can afford to, I will probably get a TV card put into my PC, and just record programs onto cd or harddrive. Would probably be cheaper option than looking for/buying a hard-to-find VCR that can copy subtitles.

I know that Australia and America do have those VCRs that are capable of taping subtitles, but the way they do it is diferent. Like, i think within the VCR is a decoder that automatically turns on the captions etc... not like here where you have to press '801' on teletext, manually... So not sure if it would work here? Like, almost all Videos that you buy, will have the captions decoder on it, and if you put it into a VCR with the decoder in it, it will turn captions on automatically...

Having said that, my information is a bit vague, so can someone correct me if my above information is wrong - particularly the ones about Australian/American VCR's.

Cheers,
caffy

godfather
11-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Don't hold your breath re TV cards recording the teletext info, mine certainly does not. You need to try before you buy in that area, perhaps the new ones do, but I am in doubt (the chipset is unlikely to have changed).

Its a whole different thing to recording the video and audio, as teletext signals are carried in the part of the signal that would normally get stripped off.

Fire-and-Ice
11-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Thank you for confirming that Godfather. I understand that captions can be viewed while playing DVDs on the computer (as on a stand alone DVD player) but DVDs converted to a compressed format apparently lose the captioning, which is why I suspected that recording TV with captions would not work. Like you say, the signals are separate but I was unsure if a computer/TV card would be more clever than a video recorder and be able to capture them.

godfather
11-08-2003, 10:25 PM
The software for teletext decoding seems to be totally separate to the TV display software.
Using teletext functions on a PC card is (as far as I know) an entirely separate process, so thats a prime reason why it wont record the teletext.

On my older Flyvideo 98 card the XP driver software is not too good for teletext, so I dont bother (have a widescreen TV nearby with teletext, nicam, sattelite sky etc so dont need it)