PDA

View Full Version : OT.Google

Thomas
11-08-2003, 12:52 AM
When doing a google search,I tend to make do with first 2 or 3 posts,am I missing something not looking at the other 1.5 million posts?

My point is,is that what everybody else does?

beama
11-08-2003, 01:01 AM
If you are getting that many hits try rephrasing your search string to narrow it down (American spelling can help also) or enclose your search string in quote marks i.e. "pressf1".

To answer your question though, I normally check the first couple of pages

godfather
11-08-2003, 01:01 AM
I look at the first 350,000 only

Unless I find the answer before then. Speed reading helps, as does a broadband connection.

If you are getting 1.5 million hits, you have not refined your search techniques perhaps.

Thomas
11-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Oh dear,why can I not say what I mean.It seems to me that the further away from the first few the less pertinent the posts.

Mike
11-08-2003, 10:01 AM
> Oh dear,why can I not say what I mean.It seems to me
> that the further away from the first few the less
> pertinent the posts.

Not necessarily. I have often found the right page after 1000-2000 that weren't relevant (I don't try every page, just going by what Google tells me about each hit. Google gives what it thinks might be the most relevant according to other searches and the size/popularity of sites (also other reasons), but that doesn't always mean that it's what YOU are looking for :) Google can't read your mind, remember, so the perfect page might be hidden somewhere in the search results several pages in.

Mike.