PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b

roofus
10-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Do the wireless cards using 802.11b have the ability to transfer their signal through a couple of internal walls?

Thinking of setting up a home media network

godfather
11-08-2003, 12:00 AM
What are the walls made of roofus? Thats a key issue, as any metallic (foil/reinforcing) would prove a problem.

If you want an ad-hoc connection (card to card) I believe its not too flash.

WAP to card I can get through about 4 - 5 walls, wooden construction (no gibfoil)

wuppo
11-08-2003, 12:37 AM
I have used two laptops with .11b cards in adhoc mode through a floor and probably two walls OK. Positioning can be critical to maintain the 11mbps connection - it falls back to 5mbps easily.
Also tried XP's bridging from wired network through one laptop to its .11b card, to provide internet connectivity to the other laptop. This worked fine, but mostly the speed was 1 to 2 mbps with only about 10 feet separation between laptops :) - I guess the performance hit was somehow caused by the bridging, but why it caused the wireless link speed to fallback, I don't know.

roofus
11-08-2003, 09:44 AM
The walls are just standard gib, i don't even think there is insulation, the distance between the two antennas would be about 10-15 feet. Do you reckon it would maintain 11Mbs? or drop down to 5Mbps? not that its a major as i'm only using it to delivery streaming video and music

wuppo
11-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Shouldn't be a problem at all with GIB walls; sometimes you have to move or turn the device slightly to get optimum reception, but at that sort of distance I would expect it to work full speed. Still, being RF based, WLANs have a habit of not being entirely predictable :|