PDA

View Full Version : Network Internet Connection

Pyro
10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi,

I've checked the archives and found nothing to help me with this (before you ask).

At work we have a small network which shares a dialup internet connection. This is by way of a machine with a modem which is running VSocks (I think this is a proxy server???). The address of this machine is 192.168.0.1, and all we have had to do in the past to get on the internet using one of our other machines using IE or Netscape is to set up a manual proxy, and tell it that it is using SOCKS and give it the address 192.168.0.1 and the port 1080.

Not a problem up until now. All the machines so far have been Win 95 or 98, and the server with VSocks is Win 98 (first edition). Last week a machine on another network went silly and I had to replace it with one of the machines from our good network. I had another computer lying around with Win XP on it and so proceeded to get that set up. I have managed to get it working on the network (albeit very slowly - same as our Win 2000 machines!!!). However, I cannot manage to get it to tell the server to dial out!

Please help if you can. Let me know what other details would be required to help solve this. It is not practical to replace the machine with the modem on it.

Pete.

tweak\'e
10-08-2003, 10:29 PM
have you disabled the XP firewall ?

Pyro
10-08-2003, 10:46 PM
I think I have disabled the firewall - I am at home at the moment running good old 98 but will check in the morning. I remember seeing something about the firewall and if I recall correctly, it was off by default.

Me

Pyro
11-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Just checked the settings on the XP (home edition) machine here at work and there is an empty check box beside the ICF box under the Advanced tab of Network settings. Does it make a difference if all three protocols are used - TCP, NetBeui and IPX/SPX? I seem to need all these on to access all the machines on the network but haven't tried different combinations... Anyway, still no access to the Internet from the XP machine.