PDA

View Full Version : What video card to get for new PC?

Steve Askew
10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
What is a good video card to get? I have a budget of $150 to $200.

There are so many out there & prices vary so much.
I want to do a bit of gaming like Americas Army Etc.
& no doubt my kids & nephews will want to play games too.
The specs for the PC I'm building are
AMD XP2500+
Gigabyte GA-7n400 PRO motherboard
512mb Ram

Also whats the best way of getting video from camcorder & VCR to the PC so that I can put our home movies onto DVD ?

Thanks in advance
Steve

phylip
10-08-2003, 10:15 PM
i have the same motherboard and use a geforce 2 mx400 64 meg
i would suggest the next model up that allows inputs for your camera
and the software i would use would be drdivx

mejobloggs
10-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Go to www.pricespy.co.nz

a GeForce4 MX440 would probably be ok, but if you want a better one, a GeForce4 Ti4200 would be just stretching the budget for a cheap one.

GeForce FX 5200 is pretty cheap, and has hardware support for direct x 9, but I dont think that really matters, but i am not sure.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/index.html
That link goes to the VGA Buyer's Guide 07/2003 from toms hardware, whic is probably worth looking at.

Steve Askew
11-08-2003, 10:57 AM
> i would suggest the next model up that allows inputs
> for your camera

Hi phylip, What model would this be called? This video card stuff is all new to me as I've had to suffer with cruddy on-board Video for years :-(

> Go to www.pricespy.co.nz
Hi mejobloggs,
I've had a look there & even that gets confusing when sellers have the same product named slightly different & the search engine lists them seperately.
> a GeForce4 MX440 would probably be ok, but if you
> want a better one, a GeForce4 Ti4200 would be just
> stretching the budget for a cheap one.
>
> GeForce FX 5200 is pretty cheap, and has hardware
> support for direct x 9, but I don't think that really
> matters, but i am not sure.

Would most of these cards have the ability to transfer video from camcorder to computer or would I need to get a separate card?

Thanks for responding & if anyone else has suggestions please feel free to add to this post.

Cheers Steve

Pheonix
11-08-2003, 11:09 AM
minimum would be a video card called GeForce 4 MX440 . The name is a "general one" and refers to the video Integrated Circuits used (which are made by Nvidia). So you can get different manufacturers of the same thing. they use slightly different designs and performances may vary marginally between them. Next step up is the GeForce 4 Ti4200, which is still good value for money.
These video cards can have other options available like VIVO (Video In , Video Out) and TV out. TV out is a composite signal that will plug into your Video in of your TV. You can then display your PC on the TV. Quality is not great.
Anyway, you would need a card with the option of video in, then you could use a program to "capture" the video coming in from your camera.
Hope this fills in a few blank area's.

phylip
11-08-2003, 11:53 AM
this may be a cheaper option

DSE AGP Card GeForce4 MX440 (XH6697)
This super-fast, affordable, graphics card features the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 256-bit 3D GPU with 64MB 128-bit DDR RAM & TV-out! Requires free AGP slot & Windows 9x, Me, XP, 2000 or Linux. Includes OEM versions of AquaNox & MDK2 games. more...
Clearance product, stock is limited.
Related Searches: graphics card | video card | geforce | graphics

$197.00
and then by buying a pci video capture card at
DSE PCI Video Capture Card (XH6594)
This is a low cost 32-bit PCI video capture card that is ideal for both image and motion video capture... more...
Related Searches: video capture | video capture card | capture card

$97.00

Pete O\'Neil
11-08-2003, 12:29 PM
If your planning to capture video there are two ways of doing it:

the Analogue way - using a standard Camcorder you need Video In on your GFX card and your would record it just like you do with a VHS
the Digital way - for this you need a special video camera that is able to output the video using IEEE 1394(often refered to as Firewire). In this case it is just a matter of uploading the video to the new camera.

If you have a Camcorder capable of using IEEE 1394 then you dont need to worry about Video In and can just purchase a addin card to give you IEEE 1394.

wit your price range you really only have two options, either a Geforce FX5200(non- ultra) or a Radeon 9000(non-pro). These cards will come with CRT, DVI and Video Out BUT NOT Video In. In order to keep inside your budget and have a card with Video In so your can record your home movies you will have to go back a generation and get a Geforce 4MX, look for a card with VIVO.

Once you have chosen a chipset post back and we can help you choose the right card.

P.S dont buy your parts from DSE(Dick Smith Electronics) they are far tooooo expensive and can be brought cheaper else where. Plus you can get better brand names.

Steve Askew
11-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi Pete & PF1'ers
Video source will be from an older analouge camcorder or vcr until budget(MRS) allows for digital camcorder & the motherboard supports Firewire for when this happens.

How does the following video card look to you guys?

GIGABYTE GV-R9200-128D Radeon 9200 VIVO Graphics Card *128MB DDR *8x AGP *Power Director Pro II for Video Capture and editing *Advanced Quad-pipe rendering architecture *SMARTSHADER *Sharper 3D graphics with SMOOTHVISION Technology *FULL STREAM Technology for higher quality streaming *VIDEO IMMERSION II support for digital and high denfinition video *TV out * Video in *Twin View $218 gst inc.

Cheers Steve

Steve Askew
11-08-2003, 02:08 PM
PS: Would the video card come with software that will enable me to get the video saved onto the hard drive? or will I need to look at some third party software?

Cheers Steve

Terry Porritt
11-08-2003, 02:09 PM
It sounds pretty good Steve, wish I could understand the Gigabyte lingo :) :)

It sounds the sort of card that would give my system a boost.

metla
11-08-2003, 02:14 PM
> PS: Would the video card come with software that will
> enable me to get the video saved onto the hard drive?
> or will I need to look at some third party software?
>
> Cheers Steve

*Power Director Pro II for Video Capture and editing

Babe Ruth
11-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Steve, the reasonably priced one you mentioned in your last thread came with some s/w. Other brand-name ones do as well.

Babe.

> GIGABYTE GV-R9200-128D Radeon 9200 VIVO Graphics Card *128MB DDR *8x AGP
> *Power Director Pro II for Video Capture and editing <<---
> *Advanced Quad-pipe rendering architecture
> *SMARTSHADER *Sharper 3D graphics with SMOOTHVISION Technology
> *FULL STREAM Technology for higher quality streaming
> *VIDEO IMMERSION II support for digital and high denfinition video
> *TV out * Video in *Twin View $218 gst inc.

Steve Askew
11-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys, Maybe I better spend the money on some Glasses or start reading whats between the lines :8} :8}

Pete O\'Neil
12-08-2003, 05:08 PM
That sounds like a good card and from the infomation avaliable it should meet all your needs.