PDA

View Full Version : Drawing in Word 2000

KiwiCJ
10-08-2003, 09:05 AM
I have put several drawings (simple 2D graphs with vert & horiz axes, a couple of sloping lines, vert & horiz lines from intersection of slopes to the axes, etc = about eight elements) into a Word 2000 document using the built-in drawing tools.

If I go back to an earlier/higher point in the doc and add more text, so that the graphs get moved further down the document, the elements of the graphs all move relative to each other and become jumbled.

Is there any way I can lock all the bits together? If I copy an Excel-generated chart into Word, I have options for locking the thing in various ways but I can't see how to do this to drawing composed of carefully positioned drawn elements in Word.

Would appreciate any wisdom.

wotz
10-08-2003, 09:45 AM
This works in Word 97, but should be in 2000. Try formatting each drawing component (right click, format autoshape), select the position tab and remove the tick from move object with text.

Fire-and-Ice
10-08-2003, 11:10 AM
I have not done it for a very long time but I am sure there is an option to Group all the objects together. I think the objects may have to all be selected first though - maybe hold down Shift whilst clicking them? Explore the options anyway.

wuppo
10-08-2003, 06:05 PM
From the drawing toolbar, select the pointer (arrow) tool. You can then click and drag a selection rectangle over the drawing items you wish to group. Rightclick the selection and select: Grouping>Group to bind them as one object.

KiwiCJ
10-08-2003, 06:37 PM
F&I and wuppo: appreciate this and thanks to you both.

I did it F&I's way, before I saw wuppo's post, and it worked real well (but is a little cumbersome). Next one, I'll try wuppo's way.

Ta

KiwiCJ
10-08-2003, 06:45 PM
wotz: appreciate your suggestion too (but in the end did not need to try doing it your way).