PDA

View Full Version : Westen Digital HDD

bk T
10-08-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm setting up a new PC and the ASUS P4PE MB doesn't detect my new Western Digital 60 GB HDD. It is set at Auto but it didn't detect the HDD.

I could, however, be able to format the drive with Win XP setup; but it keeps repeating the setup process because the system can't detect the HDD.

I do not have the details of the HDD to manually configure it.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Pheonix
10-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Suggest only, as brain now dozing :)
1/ Check link on HDD set to master and only device on the lead. Does it detect?
2/ Check IDE lead that red stripe coincides with 1 on motherboard socket and other end, the red stripe is nearest the power connection on hard drive (HDD).
3/ IDE plugged in firmly

Sorry can't stay, bed time for this old man.

-=JM=-
10-08-2003, 02:11 AM
You're not trying to run it off some on-board RAID controllers are you?

bk T
10-08-2003, 03:00 AM
>.... to run it off some on-board RAID
> controllers are you?

Have checked all cable connections and jumper settings of the HDD, everything seems to be fine.

No, I'm running any on-board RAID controller. It's a new MB and new HDD, everything is new. Is there settings anywhere to disable/enable this 'on-board RAID' controller? This friend of mine bought the MB & HDD from Taiwan and the manual is written in Chinese and my Chinese is ....

By the way, has this so-called 'on-board RAID' controller got anything to do with HDD detection?

Maybe, I should go and have a good night's sleep and maybe by tomorrow it will be OK. ?:|
Cheers

Elephant
10-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Have you got any jumpers set on the drive at all? IE Cable select. Have you anything else connected to the same cable?

Rod ger
10-08-2003, 11:24 AM
If you go here:< http://support.wdc.com/productspec.asp> you should be able to find what you need.

bk T
10-08-2003, 11:30 AM
> Have you got any jumpers set on the drive at all? IE
> Cable select. Have you anything else connected to the
> same cable?

I've got only one HDD (Western Digital 60 GB) connected to this Primary IDE connector and the HDD is set to Master. The Secondary IDE connects to a CDROM and a CDRW drives and they all detected by ASUS MB correctly.

The strange thing is: Windows XP setup could detect and format the HDD and could even copy files to it. But when rebooting, the system couldn't detect the HDD and therefore, boot from the CDROM i.e XP setup repeats the process.

I went to the CMOS BIOS to check the and found that there is no HDD detected.

I've also tried to connect the HDD to the Secondary IDE cable (connected to the CDROM) but still the system couldn't detect it! Could it be the HDD is faulty?

Cheers

Elephant
10-08-2003, 12:30 PM
What model Western Digital drive do you have?

Once again!!!! Are there any jumpers on any pins on the drive???

Beleive me. I have a reason for asking about the jumpers.

Telling me it is set for master doesn't help as I can't see the jumpers from here. :-)

TazzieNZ
10-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Just a thought,

You are trying to set up WinXP .... Correct???

And set up can detect it .... and copy files to it .... Correct???

but then it reboots .... and goes back to set up again ????

What is your boot order set to ??
\
If it is :

CDROM >>> HDD 0 >>> FDD
or
FDD >>> CDROM >>> HDD 0

then it is going to keep on booting from the CD-Rom ......

Just make sure it is set to:
HDD 0 >>> CDROM >>> FDD
or
any order you prefer as long as the HardDisk is set before the CDRom ....

Also is your Bios set to Auto Detect the HDD's ?? maybe try manually detecting it and setting it that way.

bk T
10-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got my HDD detected by the system this morning. It was the jumper played me out! The jumper I set to Master was wrong! There should be no jumper at all since there is only ONE HDD connected.

Everything is working sweet now.

Cheers

Billy T
11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
>Once again!!!! Are there any jumpers on any pins on the drive???

>Believe me. I have a reason for asking about the jumpers.

So Elephant was correct then bk T ;\

It would be real nice if you were to acknowledge his input.]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bk T
11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
> .... So Elephant was correct then bk T ;\
>
> It would be real nice if you were to acknowledge his
> input.]:)
>

Inputs from everyone to my problem are greatly appreciated especially Elephant who certainly has alerted me to focus at the right area. Thanks once again, Elephant. :)

Cheers

Rod ger
12-08-2003, 12:17 AM
A bit OT but the product link I provided above seems to have changed and adds "asp%3E " onto the end of th link resulting in this message:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03f6'

Expected 'End'

/includes/footer.asp, line 41

This on a blank page. deleting the extras gives the original link. I'm using Opera but this is the first time this has happened????

By the way the resulting links to the different models had "pretty pictures" of how to setup the jumpers(finishes lame attempt to get smidgen of credit).

Elephant
12-08-2003, 12:40 AM
No worries... It's what I thought as I had to look VERY carefully at a 60 Gig Western digital last week. :-)