PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Paste

Chao is back
09-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Is it necessary to use thermal paste on a CPU before you put a fan on it? I'm getting a new PC anytime now and the CPU is Athlon XP 2800+ and fan is Thermaltake Volcano 11+. I don't hear many people talk about thermal paste anymore so i was wondering if it's still necessary?

Pheonix
09-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Check the heatsink first. Usually they come with a "pad" stuck on them. You peel off the covering strip and attach.
If it doesn't have one of these, then you definitely have to apply some thermal paste.
More important than ever before. Probably not discussed as it is assumed that everyone knows. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Worst thing most people do is layer it on. You only need a very thin smear. Too much can even decrease the thermal efficiency.

bmason
09-08-2003, 07:20 PM
The volcano will come with some paste. And yes you need to use it. Its just cheap white stuff but it will be adequate.

Bazza
09-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Good question Chao: Yes it is essential. I did much research about this when mounting my HS fan on the cpu a while ago.

Some opinions said the usual 'pad' supplied was not recommended, but to remove that & use a good paste. The preferred paste was 'Artic Silver'.

If you do a google search for 'Artic silver' you will find much info about this subject with recommendations on the correct application of the paste.