View Full Version : format hdd

merlin a
09-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Help please!!!

One 486 sx computer
Windows 95 (corrupt)
12mb ram
unsure of the HDD

Want to clear the HDD and install Windows95 again. (Different CD this time,I have a cd that came with an old computer a few years back and still have the manual and Product ID ;-)
But what ever I do to format the HDD I get "Drive C is a compressed drive. Use DRVSPACE tool to format this drive". ?:
Tried this and "The C drive needs to have less than 154.45 MB of data"??.

I also see this computer has an H drive (host?).

Blow by blow instructions please. :-)
The computer will not let me make a system disk for some reason, but have downloaded 95-95a-95b and 95c boot disks from Ultimate Boot Disk (http://www.startdisk.com) then from Ultimate Boot Disk.
The win95 I wish to install is Windows 95 with USB support, the Product ID has OEM in it, so I assume it is OEM version that came with a new pc.

Any help on this would be helping me get another computer up and running for the kindy kids, no pressure mind ;-).

I have had a look in the FAQ and else on the net for a few weeks now, but none for my perticular problem, if there is please point me in the right direction.

cheers merlin a ;-)

Elephant
09-08-2003, 07:30 PM
I would suggest you use a Win98 Boot disk in the A: drive.

Type FDISK at the A: prompt.

Delete all drives and partitons.
Drives in the Extended partition, then extended partiton, then primary partition.

Create new partitions and then format.

Pheonix
09-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Try first as above, but before typing in FDISK, type in FDISK /MBR (there will be only a small activity on hard drive) then carry on with FDISK as above.

Merlin
09-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Either purchase a larger drive or learn about drivespace using the online help.

Another option - overwrite the HDD with zeros and restart from scratch . . easier.

Remember dinosaurs are not fast - no matter how much of the purebreed they are.

>
> One 486 sx computer
> Windows 95 (corrupt)
> 12mb ram
> unsure of the HDD
>

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool--shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple--teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep--wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise--follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

Chilling_Silently
09-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Lighten up Merlin!

Ive killed many a Win95/98 Installs and cannot get into Doze or sometimes half the HDD to access the drvspace files!

Its much harder to overwrite the HDD with Zero's than it is to FDisk it, you should know that!

And as for Dinosaurs, that was not called for and you know it!
I can make a 386 dx 33 run Win98SE without a problem!
12MB RAM is enough for Win95, as it only needs 8!

Lighten up Merlin!

Merlin
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Go away little Dorklander

Chilling_Silently
09-08-2003, 10:53 PM
"To learn by listening requires nothing but time. To open your mouth and ask the cutting question may require great courage and deserves respect"

-- English Proverb

Rosz
09-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Psst! Chill out ... you can't win a battle of wits with an unarmed person ... as it is, the Postee above is the reason I stopped coming to this page for a long, long time ... the loss was mine, especially as I see they are still around in all their pompous glory ...

merlin a ... I have had exactly the same prob and FDISK was the answer for me, with one slight alteration ... I received advice to run the FDISK /MBR prompt 3 times before going into FDISK proper ... dunno why, but as it takes mere seconds at a time, I still do it to this day (by the way, MBR = 'Master Boot Record" ... apparently, this can also clear some viruses that hide in the MBR as well).

Hope this helps.

merlin a
09-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks to Elephant, Chilling Silently and Pheonix,
Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

As for the other reply, well hmmm.

cheers merlin a ;-)

PoWa
09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Zero wiping is easy as. Easier than fdisk and mbr as well. You just download a small program called killdisk free version (http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm), and let it run = zero wipe.

Lohsing
10-08-2003, 12:10 AM
> Go away little Dorklander

No need to get down to that level, Merlin. I'd much prefer to see a website without petty, provincial porachialism.

I think others on this site would think the same.

Lo.

Pheonix
10-08-2003, 01:50 AM
My sentiment too Lohsing. (This from one who is well south of the bombay's!!) :D

Susan B
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
> Go away little Dorklander

<sings>

"Love is in the air...."

</sings>

Thomas
10-08-2003, 12:07 PM
The Masters,Godfather,Jim B etc do not respond to the stupid,I believe they have it right.

Biggles
11-08-2003, 10:14 AM
My patience is being sorely tried.