PDA

View Full Version : Remotely start a dial-up connection

somebody
09-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Here's the situation:

2 computers on a network. One running WinXPHome, with 56k moden. One running Win98SE, with 33.6k modem.

From the Win98 machine, I want to be able to get the Win XP machine to dial the dial up connection. I don't want to get windows to save my dialup password however.

Are there any programs out there which would be able to let me make the WinXP Machine dial up, from the Win98 one?

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 05:40 PM
check out RDU (http://www.twiga.ltd.uk/downloads.asp)

somebody
09-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks tweak'e. Is it safe though?

Chilling_Silently
09-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Yup!

The ResinMaster
10-08-2003, 03:55 AM
You could also use a remote desktop program like PC anywhere, I use tight VNC it is free and better than PC anywhere as you don't need a static ip address if you are using jetstream to dial in to your PC if accessing from WWW.

somebody
10-08-2003, 10:58 AM
YAY. I've tried it, and it works very well. I'm still a bit worried about security though.... - how am I to know that this program won't dial up some Russian ISP and me end up being charged for the toll calls?

Chilling_Silently
10-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Coz I told you it wont ;-)

somebody
10-08-2003, 06:05 PM
And who told me I could trust you :D

somebody
10-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Well I've had some serious system instability as a result of instaling/uninstalling that program. It's the only program I've installed today, and I have not made any changes to system settings/files etc.

Windows would not load properly during startup, as programs in the system tray failed to start up completely.

I've had to use System Restore to go back to a state in which the computer works properly.

bmason
10-08-2003, 06:26 PM
> a bit worried about security though.... - how am I to
> know that this program won't dial up some Russian ISP
> and me end up being charged for the toll calls?

<tin-foil-hat>
You don't. As with every other piece of software on your computer.

The only way you could check would be to read the source code. Then compile it yourself (assuming you trust the compiler, OS, bios, hardware, ...).
</tin-foil-hat>

Anyway, i've used it without any problems. There is also a similar app called Internet Remote Control. It does the same thing, except it doesn't steal the focus when it dials (really anoying if the host is running quake).

somebody
10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Ok.

I know my computer's having "difficulties" recently, and isn't the most stable. Maybe it was just a coincidence then.