PDA

View Full Version : internet problems

Orien
09-08-2003, 03:15 PM
I have a problem with using the internet. I can connect normally however, I cannot seem to recieve any information once connected, stays at about 200 bits. Sending seems ok but just recieving is broken. I think it has something to do with DNS settings, as I can ping to my ISP's IP address but not the DNS. I am using windows xp home on a laptop. Help and suggestions would be great.

Graham L
09-08-2003, 03:37 PM
I supsect that DNS servers will not respond to pings. :D They have had trouble with people trying to bring them down, and responding to pings is not a neccessary part of being a DNS server.

I'm not sure what you mean ... you can connect to your ISP, but then what? You get a small amount from any other site you try to reach, but then it dies, or can you not reach any other site, at all? If it's the "not at all", you have got the wrong DNS server address. Check with your ISP (this information will be in a page somewhere) what they want you to set. It may be an IP address, or the ISP might supply an address each time you connect. If you are doing the wrong thing, it can't work.

Orien
09-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I can connect, but then nothing. I can't access webpages, email, ftp. I've just tried connecting to a LAN and I have the same problem, packets are being sent but I'm not receiving anything. My IP and DNS server settings are set to be obtained automatically, however, the problem still exists when I explicitly define the DNS server with my ISP's address.

Jim B
09-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Firewall settings, (Zone alarm) or spyware.
Check for new.net in add remove programs.

stu140103
09-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Who is your ISP????

Do you know if they are having problems???

*Sparky*
11-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Hi Orien
Had the same problem recently with a neighbours computer. Would connect ok, send to the ISP but receive nothing back. After trying lots of suggests from Press F1, reinstalling dialups etc. I checked their webmail from my computer and found an email from their ISP saying the last auto payment from there creditcard was declined and service will be returned to normal when the account was paid. They tried the creditcard again, the payment was made, and service was returned to normal.

Very frustrating.
Have you paid? :)

Orien
11-08-2003, 09:11 AM
thanks for your help, however, I've decided it's time for a clean install, purhaps linux/windows xp, hopefully it'll go smoothly.

*Sparky*
12-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Why change the engine when its only a faulty spark plug?

*Sparky*
12-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Why change the engine when its only a faulty spark plug?