PDA

View Full Version : cpu heat sink

bk T
09-08-2003, 12:47 AM
My friend bought a Celeron 2.2 Gig CPU (in the box) which comes with the heat sink and cooling fan. When we try to install the heat sink and found that there isn't any thermal paste enclosed.

Do we have to buy the thermal paste or the new technology does not require the use of thermal paste?

Please advise.

bk

wuppo
09-08-2003, 01:00 AM
Is there a square of a soft looking tape on the underside of the heatsink? If so, that is the thermal couplant between the CPU and heatsink.

bk T
09-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks WUPPO. there is a piece of tape like thing on the underside of the heatsink. Do we need to peel of anything at all so that it will stick onto the the underside and the CPU, or, just leave it as it is?

Murray P
09-08-2003, 01:47 AM
Take off the protective tape, a bit like the one that cover you printer cartridge heads before poping a new one in. Make sure you don't smear it around, keep the HS nice and square on the cpu. Wont say any more because I haven't seen a celeron up close on a board.

Cheers Murray P

Greg S
09-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Hmmm I have an additional similar question - I recently built up my first homebuild pc, with a P4 2.4 - and there wasn't any tape over the chip nor under the heatsink, and no thermal paste included in the package. I installed it just as is.

I understand that thermal paste is primarily for the purpose of filling in the micro-holes within the contact surfaces of heatsink and chip. Should I go to Dick Smiths, get some goo and apply it?

Murray P
09-08-2003, 03:20 AM
Could be another scam Greg, Been selling us thermal this and that for years. How the temperature, had any BSOD's, reboots? Check the doc on the HSF site for installation but, at a guess your very lucky not to have fried your cpu. Air is a very good insulator so the machining on the HS and the cpu surface have to be near perfect to eliminate all but the tiniest imperfections otherwise your likely to get hotspots. ASFAIK even the ultra polished HS's still need goo or epoxy of some type. Check it out for oeace of mind.

Cheers Murray P

Greg S
09-08-2003, 03:24 AM
Yeah thx Murray - Haven't had any probs at all so far, but I think I'll go buy some goo anyway. As you say - peace of mind.

Cheerz

Murray P
09-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Check it out first tho, Greg. I don't want to find out I contributed to a fry up ;)

Cheers Murray P

Bed beckons.

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 12:31 PM
you will notice a drop in temp after you apply some decent thermal paste. fortunatly for you the p4 has a good thermal shutdown circuit so theres little chance of you frying it.

you can get some paste at dick smiths but i would recommend a good computer shop as they will have the good stuf :)