PDA

View Full Version : Sky UHF Scart

XOtagoScarfie
09-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Hi I wonder if anyone could help me I have just purchased a new tv that has scart inputs, is it worth buying a scart cable for sky uhf or should I stick to the normal setup?

Cheers

XO

godfather
09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Sky might supply a SCART cable, I know of instances where they have (free) as part of the deal.

If by "normal" you mean via the antenna socket, then no! do not use that method. Thats a very poor quality option.

Use SCART or RCA (AV), both achieve the same thing, not all set top boxes have RCA + SCART though.

XOtagoScarfie
09-08-2003, 06:55 AM
Cheers Godfather

The sky box has scart outputs but no rca so I might give them a ring and see if I can grab a free cable.

XOtagoScarfie
09-08-2003, 10:13 AM
okay the sky helpline was open so i rang them and interestingly enough they say that using the scart cable won't make a difference with uhf. Has anyone tried it?

?:|

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
yes it makes a difference. the output modulators on those boxes are not very good and are prone to failure. try giving your local tech a call. if sky has to come out to fit it you will have to pay for the call out.

Peter H
09-08-2003, 01:17 PM
It also depends on whether you have a VCR. In my case, the rf out goes via VCR to TV - Scart to Scart on TV. I use the Scart connection when watching movies, as this gives me stereo sound. Normal run of mill - use RF as the missus hasn't figured out how to change channels using the AV input. Quality is better using scart, but in most cases, not a lot. Also use a splitter & amp, to send the RF around the house for other TV's.
Bye

tweak\'e
09-08-2003, 02:58 PM
>I use the Scart connection when watching movies, as this gives me stereo sound

no it dosn't. no uhf skydecoder has stereo output. the nicam models had a nicam bypass so the stero sound is via the RF lead not the scart.

kiwibeat
09-08-2003, 03:06 PM
its a little bit better to use the scart output results in a clearer picture

Peter H
09-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Agree Tweak'e - I've now gone to Satellite so need to use AV input. Was ok with UHF only decoder & Nicam before.
Bye