PDA

View Full Version : Loooooooong Boot Time

cold_fu5ion
08-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi all,
I installed Win2000 Pro on my pc about a 3 weeks ago, and in comparison to other OSs (including win2000 on other PCs) it takes a really long time to boot. So I did the right?? thing and timed it:

Time until login screen: 1min 21sec
Time until login screen is usable (the timer goes away and I can enter a password) 55sec
Time until my apps load (nortons 2003, zone alarm, and hardware monitoring utility) 46 sec
Thats over 3 minutes until my pc is usable.
Windows 98 used to take less than 30 seconds.
Are there any programs that will tweak my pc to make it boot faster, or is there a way to get rid of the login screen (only I use my pc)
and specs...
athalon 2200
80 gig hdd
128 mg gforce 4 ti 4200
1024 mg ddr ram
Thanks

ilikelinux
08-08-2003, 06:39 PM
well that time isn't to bad compared to the time for the computers at work to boot, it has to run startup scripts, logon scripts and more.
Have you tried looking at microsoft support?

CYaBro
08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Have you got all the latest mainboard, video & sound card drivers loaded?

Stryker
08-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Have a look at System Information:

To get there in win 98SE: Start>Programs>Accessories>SystemTools>System Information

Click on hardware resources and check if any components where fighting for the same IRQ.

If they are go into your Bios and manually set an IRQ for the conflicting devices.

I had a similar problem and this is how I fixed itů

Hope it does the same for you

cold_fu5ion
08-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replys.
I don't have the latest drivers for my video card, but I'm about to install them, I also checked the IRQs and there were 4 things with the same IRQ number. Anyway I went to BIOS but I couldn't find anything on how to change them, but I did find that my sysetm susposedly had 6 USB ports (it has 4) so I changed that. I went back to the system info and 3 things have the same IRQ number.
The things are...
VIA USB Universal Host Controller (x2, were 3 of them)
VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (I don't have a PCI to USB card)
Could this be the problem?
Also does anyone know how to disable the win2000 login screen?
And are there any boot time tweaking tools?
Thanks

Stryker
08-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Nope I don't think those 2 USB Devices using up the same IRQ would affect your performance at all since they're only USB's and not like your Graphics and sound trying to use the same IRQ.

Sorry I know nothing about 2000.

In your case, if it where me I wouldn't worry to much about a boot tweaking tool (I don't know of any btw) but I would be more concerned about the actual configuration of your PC.

You say it ran fine under 98, therefore theres got to be something up with regards to the rebuild with 2000.
Did you make any other changes other than the O/S..new PCI cards maybe disk partitioning? Etc..

If you're really keen perhaps try a rebuild again, I find I have to build my PC a couple times over before its how I want it

cold_fu5ion
08-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks again,
I didn't rebuild my pc tho, I just installed win2000, but I did put in a Linux partition and a swap partition that weren't there before. Although it's not dual booting at the moment as I took the bootloader out of the master boot record with fdisk.

bob_doe_nz
08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Strangely enough i sorta had similar problem with long load times on my duron 700. for some funny reason though when i installed the latest directX drivers my computer slowed down not by much but you could notice it . i dont have 2k anymore as i went back to an older version of windows

Elephant
08-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Have a look on Google for BootVis. That is supposed to fix boot times.

cold_fu5ion
08-08-2003, 11:07 PM
thanks for the replys, but bootvis is for XP only :(

kiwibeat
27-08-2003, 12:04 AM
win 2000 takes a longer time to boot I think On a mates PC IT TOOK OVER 2 MINS was a celeron 550