PDA

View Full Version : Which 17' LCD to buy?

Neil McC
08-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Have been looking at the Philips 170B4B display.I think godfather mentioned to get one with digital input as well as analogue.They also sell the Sony SDMHS73G,but it doesn't have digital in.Is there another good brand to look at round $1100.00?Have read the PC World reviews on 15" LCD's,but don't think they've done 17" yet. Comments please.Thanks.

KiwiTT
08-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Check out [utl=http://www.tomshardware.com]Toms[/url] for reviews.

NEC even sued Viewsonic for misleading advertising. I would get an NEC one, almost on the strength of this fact alone. They are good quality as well.

I was going to get ther NEC Multisync 1760NX. Well reviewed on the site above.

Gorela
08-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi Neil,

There was a thread a few weeks ago about dead pixels. LCD screens can have pixels die which cause black spots. It would be a good idea to check the manufacturers return policy on dead pixels (ie the number before they replace).

I know that Phillips have altered their policy for the B and possibly P range of LCDs to zero dead pixels. The B spec had been more than 4 dead pixels in one spot!

You might like to check out the specs on the Samsung as these have received some good reviews as well.

Gorela
08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
And the url mentioned is Toms (http://www6.tomshardware.com)

Neil McC
09-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks,guys.I can also get a Samsung 172T through my son's work for about $1050.00 plus GST.Bur of course can't see one in action.Am aware of the dead pixel issue.And a Philips through a friend Tech,but that's about the same price as from Harvey Norman!! So it may be best to go Harvey N way,especially with their 17 months interest free period on now. And with the Philips "no dead pixels" warranty. Oh,decisions!

Curious George
09-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Watch what they mean with the dead pixel thing.
If one quadrant fails, giving a failed colour, but not a 'dead', no light pixel, it may not come under their 'dead pixel policy'.
Confused? So are lots of other people.
Find out each companies policy definition of 'dead' and 'defective'
if it would bother you that much.
Screens rated for medical use, for instance, have a zero tolerance
for defective pixels, whereas home monitors have a greater margin of error. =cheaper price.

Neil McC
10-08-2003, 10:03 AM
I've also read that CRTs are better for colour re editing photos etc.Would that be correct?

KiwiTT
11-08-2003, 01:10 PM
You need to check the colour contrast.

Each Pixel is made up of RED:GREEN:BLUE lights. Some LCDs only work in these colour ranges ranges. 7-252, whereas CRTs tend to operate from 0-255. This can effect your editing if you are looking at either really dark colours or bright colours. Some LCDs can only work on 16bit colours.

I am sure other can explain this better in more detail and you may see some good articles on the website mentioned early.

Neil McC
11-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Weell,looks like I have to pass up on an LCD at the moment.It's either curtains for me or for the lounge!!!!!!! So will go for the cheaper option,and after the cutains are bought,sneak in a new CTR. :-(
Thanks again.