PDA

View Full Version : modem drivers

effie C
08-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Hi this is the second time I have posted this- it's no where to be seen- so if duplicated - sorry
Recently I discussed on this page why my modem was working at 31.2 kpsas against Smithie38's 52000 kps odd and it was suggested that I upgrade my drivers.
Nowhere on the net can I see upgrades for what I thought was listed as a standard 56600 kps modem--- in fact now I see that the name of the modem is Standard - ie made by Standard - not any common one after all.
Windows update facility cannot find upgraed driver and I am at a loss as to where to start.
I am using Win 98SE
Can someone advise on this in the light I now have a specific name to look for - and what if there is one , sort I should get.
Would a new modem at $30 odd be worth installing - I cannot afford an exterior one- at around $150 odd.
effie c

godfather
08-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Is there a Telecom sticker with a PTC number on the modem?
That can be traced on the web, to the "real" identity of the "Standard" make of modem, and therefore the drivers.

godfather
08-08-2003, 11:45 AM
For instance look here (http://www.telepermit.co.nz/ptcregM.html) for the input page, so you understand what you are looking for.

effie C
08-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi GF - as usual - well done - I took the side panels off-my puta - and cannot see anything like that - it was only a fluke that I found "Standard " as a name not a common off the floor modem- will now search and see what I can find- I sure wish I could speed up the "connect speed"- as a friend said he could walk quicker than that :-(
effie c

godfather
08-08-2003, 12:35 PM
I assume you have enquired and eliminated the possibility that Telecom have you on a "0+2" line pairing system, which will limit you to that speed forever?

Either ask them, or try another PC on your line.

effie C
08-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi G F
Now that is a co-incidence- I have just had the young tech who initially taught me- while still at school, now a full tech - state that there will be no drivers that will improve this- that I had better get a noise test from Telecom as he is sure that is where my trouble lies ( he has been less forthcoming previously), hence my amature efforts to find out.
He tells me that it wil cost about $50 give or take, and maybe to say there is nothing wrong, or that can easily be corrected.
Your comment about the split line just might end it all.Some parts of Hamilton are so heavily populated these days and it is growing so fast,that I might be in that category-this "0+2 "line pairing system-to gain more line customers, I suppose.
Either way I must be careful not to throw away money on a probable known answer
I do know a Telecom emplyee though and wonder if I can twist his arm-thanks I will keep you posted
effie c

godfather
08-08-2003, 04:17 PM
You should be able to enquire as to the existence of a "0+2" without it costing you money, one would have thought.

But exactly where in Telecom you enquire is anyones guess......

I made this suggestion of digital pair gaining to you on 31 July as well.
Odds are that this is the case, if the loading on the network is as you say.