PDA

View Full Version : head phones, blind leading the blind....

beetle
08-08-2003, 01:10 AM
as some of you may know ive been looking for music and haveing a problem finding it, so have resorted to some cd's but as the puter is in the lounge the family get irate with the extra noise level so i thought headphones....

so i went off and got the steroe ones and plugged it in ... in what i thought was the phones point on the puter but it does not seem to work (this in frount of tower box) have i got wrong sort of head phones or am i plugging it in wrong spot?
im lost and cant see where i went wrong..
at front under cd player with sound switch thing or am i suposed to stick it the back some where?

had a look and got a little over heated by the air blast coming out the back LOL so gave up then, as it is agaist a wall and awkward and it seems all my books are still packed some where who knows where to tell me where to plug it....

so what im asking is do i need special headphones? or is it just the wrong spot plugged into?

?

beetle

-=JM=-
08-08-2003, 01:29 AM
The one that you're plugging it into will only be useful when playing audio CDs in the drive. You should plug it in to the soundcard at the back of the PC.

Robby
08-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Hello Beetle,

check your speakers for a plug in for your headphones, and use that.
it will cut your speakers, and activate your headphones.

If there is no plug in, find where the speakers are plugged in at the
back of your computer, remove, and plug your head set in.

cheers,

Robby

Pheonix
08-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Could also consider an extension cord from rear (available from Dick Smith I should think), so the plug is in the soundcard and the socket sitting on the desk. Then you could change over from speakers to headphones when required. Only if the suggestions above don't work out.
Also a thought, the front socket, does it have a corresponding plug at the rear that would normally plug into your soundcard, in which your speakers are plugged in? Maybe then you could utilize the above but use that instead of the extension lead?

beetle
08-08-2003, 08:21 PM
ok thanxs guys

first off swapped plugs > took out speaker plug and it works the phones on a audio cd

2nd up tried it again with speakers still unplugged and plugged it in the front and still no sound? it has a picture of aset of headphones at the front so wots happening?

and as i dont know what / where of sound card things would have got lost on that part,
so why does the front plugin not work or what else is it for?

thanxs
beetle

Fire-and-Ice
08-08-2003, 09:01 PM
You probably need to have a music CD playing for the front port to work. It looks like your headphones are only going work in the socket that your speakers use for general use.

beetle
08-08-2003, 09:57 PM
i did have a music cd playing the whole time.....

?

beetle

neddy
08-08-2003, 11:52 PM
maybe the volume control (thumbwheel next to the CD phono socket) was turned right down?

Greg S
09-08-2003, 02:48 AM
Not sure that's quite right, JM - eg my case has a front panel with sockets for a couple of additional USB ports, as well as microphone and headphone sockets. I'd suspect that Beetle's PC case hasn't got the connectors set up correctly to the sound card, or if on-board sound, to the motherboard.

If the above is correct, I think it's a bit beyond anyone here to explain to her how to check inside - in which case she may need to take the lot back to the supplier to re-check the plugs etc

Greg S
09-08-2003, 02:54 AM
Great suggestion Robby. If it doesn't work for her though, don't be surprised - some cards and motherboards just don't work like that, for some reason. My old PC used to do it fine, my new one doesn't. Go figure

beetle
09-08-2003, 10:42 AM
so i should just add it to the list of things that dont work and when i send it back tell them to chaeck it too?
LOL

and music should have beed blasting away nicely as i had fiddled witht the thumbwheel thing but still no go...

?

beetle

stu140103
09-08-2003, 12:44 PM
> so i should just add it to the list of things that
> dont work and when i send it back tell them to chaeck
> it too?
> LOL

> and music should have beed blasting away nicely as i
> had fiddled witht the thumbwheel thing but still no
> go...

So you cant her any thing????? Correct????

stu140103
09-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Also are you plugging the headphones in to the cd-rom or at the back on the computer????

If so, are you plugging it in the correct hole????

If there are then it might be the headphones that have given up?????