PDA

View Full Version : kazaa

csinclair83
08-08-2003, 12:21 AM
YEAH another kazza thread..but i've been noticing that when someone mentions kazaa it comes with no problems...
and i dont want to set something off or anything, but i notice that if someone wants to copy a cd which is illegal..they get told that illegal stuff is not encouraged on pressf1....but when it comes to kazza, its no problem?

yes i admit i use it but i just wondering...why kazza is ok but cd burning aint?

godfather
08-08-2003, 11:19 AM
If you choose to use Kazaa (or other P2P file sharing programs) to download copyright protected material, then you are choosing to break the law, because you are stealing. Its called theft.

There is always material on the web that is not copyright (such as legitimate digital photograph images you have taken yourself, or others have taken and wish to share, for example), and downloading or swapping of such material is not illegal.

Use of Kazaa for swapping such non copyright material is not, and never has been illegal.
If you choose to use Kazaa for illegal (theft) purposes, then its not Kazaa thats the problem, its what you have chosen to do with it.

Baldy
08-08-2003, 08:14 PM
> yes i admit i use it but i just wondering...why kazza
> is ok but cd burning aint?

Think about it Chris..............

Greg S
09-08-2003, 03:15 AM
> If you choose to use Kazaa (or other P2P file sharing
> programs) to download copyright protected material,
> then you are choosing to break the law, because you
> are stealing. Its called theft.

A slightly better perspective is that copying copyright material is an infingement against the civil copyright laws. It isn't theft.

Besides, reason should tell us that theft is taking away a piece of property

roofus
09-08-2003, 06:25 PM
yes its quite hypocritical, but unfortunately some people like to push there stern views on subjects such as software piracy, but then let by the wayside views on audio piracy.

I once had a debate with this guy, and he stormed off never to come back
check it out here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30370&message=127125&q=securom#127125)

Thomas
09-08-2003, 06:37 PM
So if you had an idea,say to make a better computer and I took the "idea"and made a fortune,you wouldn't consider that theft?

>Besides, reason should tell us that theft is taking away a piece of >property

Baldy
09-08-2003, 07:11 PM
> I once had a debate with this guy, and he stormed off
> never to come back
> check it
> out here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=30370&message=127125&q=securom#127125)

How do you know that he stormed away? He might still be here with a different identity ;-);-);-)

It is the internet after all

Chilling_Silently
09-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Its that use of Kazaa doesnt have to be for illegal downloads, but certain use for copying CD's is illegal.. I guess it nuckles down to you motives.

Thomas
09-08-2003, 11:45 PM
So can it be said that there are those amongst us who,rather than click on the button,say no I must be honest and pay $300 for that piece of software?

Speaking for myself,I of course would pay the $300.

PoWa
09-08-2003, 11:53 PM
>So can it be said that there are those amongst us who,rather than click on the button,say no I must be honest and pay $300 for that piece of software? Speaking for myself,I of course would pay the $300.

LOL. I don't think there is anything on kazaa and p2p that isn't illegal and is worth downloading. Those who say you use the program for "legitimate" reasons are only kidding yourself. Oh there may be one or two things you could download, but you could obviously get them from somewhere else as well. Its only a matter of time before mp3 downloading is banned in NZ as well unfortunately.

Lohsing
10-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Quite funny you should mention downloading of mp3s, because Xtra Jetstream has quite openly advertised that you can download mp3s faster on Jetstream than on anything else...

Lo.

godfather
10-08-2003, 12:45 AM
I am not trying to take a moral stance on the above, just trying to point out to the original poster that Kazaa per se, is not illegal.

No more than your bicycle is illegal if you use it to go somewhere to commit an offence.

Its not the fault of the bike. Its what you may choose to do while you happen to use it as transport. Don't blame the bike.

I think you will find there are a few mainstream artists that have released certain tracks as mp3's for free download. So not all mp3s are pirated, though unless you get them yourself from the artists home page you cannot tell.

-=JM=-
10-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Apparently people use kazaa and other P2P programs for downloading government documents as well... publically free ones at that.

roofus
10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
see what i mean csinclair, they will say that kazaa is ok till they are blue in the face. yea of course people use it to download non-pirated Mp3's and government docs............ the whole 0.001% of users on kazaa.

Wakeup!