PDA

View Full Version : Access databases

asdex
07-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi, I have Microsoft Access but are having alot of trouble trying to make up a membership database for our club. I want to be able to filter people according to interests, area, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows where there may be sample mdb files I could adapt to suit. I know there samples with Access like the contacts database but they don't reall suit. I have found making one up is beyond my ability and thought there maybe samples on line somewhere.
Thanks

Merlin
07-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Nothing available on the Internet springs to mind.

What you ask is dependent upon how you want to display the output - print or screen.

Also how much user interaction is required to define what filters are used to select the output.

Either way what you want - in the area of output - can be achieved by sorting and grouping if the output is printed, or using access basic for both printed reports and screen output.

Both will require a form in front to provide access to the required filters.

Better spending some money and then taking a copy of the finished product apart.

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool--shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple--teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep--wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise--follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

beama
07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
you can get access to search your database on criteria you specify such as in this sql statement

SELECT Name ,location, Hobby
FROM MyDatabase
WHERE location LIKE Place AND Hobby LIKE Past_Time;

this query when run will ask for place ( which you can enter Nelson for example or * for all locations) the query will then search based on the criteria, it will also ask for Past_time which it will also so search on, returning matches to that which you have asked for ie if for the first (place) you enter Nelson and if you enter fishing for Past_time, it will search your database for people living in Nelson with a hobby of fishing and return those results to you.

syntax
capital lettering indicates reserved sql statements
Place and Past_time are user defined arguments
* is a wildcard acts the same way as the DOS * wildcard ie nelson* search for all combinations that start with nelson
? can also be used as a wildcard ie nelson? would look for nelson with only one character after it

I would not know how to do this in QBE (query by example) as I like sql but it may pay to visit your local library as well and try google

parry
08-08-2003, 12:30 AM
You could try searching Utter Access http://www.utteraccess.com. Utter Access is a huge resource that also has many links to other Access sites so have a look around there and if no joy then post your question there & someone may have samples.

mikebartnz
08-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Depending on how access handles SQL I would use = instead of like as = will bring up an exact match where as like will bring up a similar match( Not as precise).

Merlin
08-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Some Richard Craniums here.

This person admits he is out of his depth.

> I have found making one up is beyond my ability and
> thought there maybe samples on line somewhere.

And some recommend using SQL queries!

Will others suggest global modules soon . . . ?

For a variety of reasons Access is seldom used as a web database so the probability of finding examples on the web is low. And the cost of creating runtime versions to distribute as free examples - and ensuing lack of financial recompense - negates the practicalities of free samples.

Again,
Better spending some money and then taking a copy of the finished product apart.

Men are four:

asdex
08-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks all, I shall look at the website and look for Access for Dumbies. Would there be a better data base to use?

"For a variety of reasons Access is seldom used as a web database so the probability of finding examples on the web is low. And the cost of creating runtime versions to distribute as free examples - and ensuing lack of financial recompense - negates the practicalities of free samples"

Is this saying Access isn't so good and I should look at something else with more support?

I don't think I want to know about SQL
Thanks
asdex

godfather
08-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Try Excel, and using the Autofilter feature you should be able to achieve most if not all you want.

Its a lot easier to use than Access in my opinion

Merlin
08-08-2003, 04:35 PM
This depends on where the database is to be used.

Internet?

Intranet?

Standalone?

While Excel has advantages, print and display options are limited compared to the options from a database.

Men are four:

Merlin
08-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Rereading your original post, the database appears to be standalone.

Decide on who will be entering data - and what, and who be veiwing the output, what will be displayed and how it will be displayed.

That will determine the choices for the database rather than existing knowledge.

Men are four:

Dolby Digital
08-08-2003, 05:46 PM
>>Will others suggest global modules soon . . . ?

Yes why not use global modules... (ha ha).

There may well be a suitable database shell you could use on the internet, its just a matter of finding it. Alternatively email me at peldridge at (@) clear.net.nz and I will help you.

asdex
08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi thanks for your replies. The database will be standalone. I will enter names and addresses and notes on people. Also four or five cataogues of interest which some people may come into one or more. Then I will sort by cataogues or by location, if they have email or have to be contacted by phone. Then what events they have attended. This will be printed out or maybe I can sent to Outlook express to email away.
I shall try to modify the contacts management in Access, adding and removing the text boxes etc to make it up.
Thanks, I may send an email if stuck
asdex

Greg S
08-08-2003, 07:57 PM
You could always try Microsoft's site:

http://search.office.microsoft.com/assistance/producttask.aspx?p=Access