PDA

View Full Version : USB hardware playing up

Kiwiwulf
07-08-2003, 06:48 PM
I have a problem with my printer (HP 845c) and my net MD Player.
When attempting to print the print begins then stops roughly halfway through. This signals that the PC is now locked up and I have to reboot to regain control.

A similar thing happens when transferring music to my MD player. The song is (I presume) decoded from mp3 and then transferred. The first stage occurs OK but when the actual write is occuring the problem as above occurs and I need to reboot. With the MD the problem is intermittent - A little like Russian Roulette will the next tune trigger the lock up? X-(

The printer first arose when I installed XP professional - the printer was the only device that XP never really seemed to like. However by deleting queued or failed print jobs and switching the printer off for a couple of minutes then retrying it would print. The net player which worked fine has decided to come out in sympathy.

I swap the two between the available USB port as the other has been taken over by a cable modem: the fitting of which coincided with the onset of this problem.

I do have a 2 port USB card I installed and the mouse works happily out of one. However plugging either of the 2 devices into the other port fails as XP does not detect them and manual installation fails as well.

It has been suggested that maybe the spool file is corrupt.

Thoughts and/or solutions welcome.

roofus
07-08-2003, 06:58 PM
i'm under the impression that the printer is also USB enabled.

Given that your netMD is also playing up then its obviously a USB port problem.

how old is this computer you running?

do any errors pop up when the freeze happens (such as a blue screen of death)

goto control panel --> system, and have a look in device manager, are there any compoents in there with a yellow exclamation mark?

I have a netmd myself and have no problems,

p.s. also try running your printer and or netmd without the mouse, does it still freeze?

roofus
07-08-2003, 06:59 PM
oh also i'm assuming you have openMG jukebox v2.2 for your NetMD

and the latest drivers for your printer

Kiwiwulf
07-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Running a AMD-K5 3D @500MHz. 128 MB of RAM
Prior to installing XP both USB enabled devices run flawlessly. After the switch to XP the printer played up but could be made to work and the Sony MD worked fine. It seems the install of the Cable modem has maybe had some effect.
Have tried removing the drivers and letting XP detect each device and reinstall but cannot resolve the issue.
Have wondered about a self powered 4 port USB hub and running those devices through that.
If the USB port is at fault how can one check it quickly?

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 10:37 PM
> Running a AMD-K5 3D @500MHz. 128 MB of RAM
> Prior to installing XP both USB enabled devices run
> flawlessly. After the switch to XP the printer played
> up but could be made to work and the Sony MD worked
> fine. It seems the install of the Cable modem has
> maybe had some effect.

well half the problem is your running XP on an underpowered, minimal ram system. install more ram or go back to your previous OS.