PDA

View Full Version : System Checkpoint Win XP Home

Ladybug
07-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi Since reinstalling Win XP Home - system restore seems to be making a system checkpoint everyday, more often than it was anyway. How do I go about changing this???

Thanks Ladybug

Jen C
07-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Ladybug

System Restore will create a Checkpoint for every 24 hours the PC is running, or if it has been more than 24 hours since the last checkpoint was created. So a daily checkpoint is not unreasonable depending on your computer usage.

You will find this article informative: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/Plan/FAQSRWXP.asp).

It has instructions on how to reduce the amount of diskspace Restore uses which may be helpful to you.

Ladybug
07-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Thank you Jen

Can you just tell me this what should the disk space it uses then be set at????

Jen C
07-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Well I have chosen to set my Disk Space usage to 6% (half the default) which on the amount of free space on that drive equates to nearly 2500MB.

Although, as I create a ghost image of that drive once a month, I am not too worried if my restore points only go back a just over a month (my current oldest restore point available is 3rd July).

That is just what I selected though, and I actually wonder if that is still too generous. I would be interested to hear what setting other people recommend or use.

stu140103
07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
> That is just what I selected though, and I actually
> wonder if that is still too generous. I would be
> interested to hear what setting other people
> recommend or use.

I have Win ME.
For a 10 / 9.30 GB Hdd I use 388 MB (at the moment, but I am running out of HD space ;),) but I have it normally at 576 MB or a bit more then that.

Fire-and-Ice
07-08-2003, 09:56 PM
I have mine at the 12% default setting but since I currently have plenty of room on my hard drive this does not bother me. I very rarely restore my system to a point more than a week old as my system changes quite a lot over a few days. However, I do make a habit of creating a restore point right before installing a program or making changes.

Ladybug
08-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Hi Fire-and-Ice

Ok so if im installing SP1 and doing a restore point. 12 % will be fine for me too??? or maybe bigger???

thank you for reply

and thanks others too!! :)

Ladybug

metla
08-08-2003, 12:47 AM
I have mine disabled :D

Fire-and-Ice
08-08-2003, 12:26 PM
I am sure 12% will be fine. If you do what I do and create a new system restore point prior to any fiddling/installing programs you should be quite safe.