PDA

View Full Version : Defrag restarts due to "disk contents changed" when running Power Defrag???

Billy T
07-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi Team

Am I going mad or what ?:|

I am using Power Defrag and the Win 98ME defrag exe I think (anyway it's supposedly the better of the Win defrag engines).

Defrag is restarting multiple times on my C: drive with the usual warning about disk contents changing and this kinda has me baffled as theoretically it is not supposed to happen. It takes several attempts to get to 30% then it stalls there for a period restarting multiple times, then finally it gathers up its skirts and makes a fast run to the finish.

Scandisk before defrag says all OK. Just out of interest I tried under Safe Mode and the only difference was that the process ran a lot slower.

Computer is Old Faithful P166 with Win 98 original, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD with only 2.9GB used.

Any ideas

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

KiwiTT
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Can you run it without a swapfile ? and in safemode.

zip1nz
07-08-2003, 05:25 PM
make sure your screensaver is turned off

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 05:40 PM
you can run it without the swapfile due to your decent amount of ram or you can set a resonable sized swap file which ussually stops it resizeing.

only curse with disableing swapfile, defraging and reenabling swapfile is some system will run slower exspecially with a fairly full disk. this is simply due to the swapfile being moved to the slow end of the hardrive.

Billy T
07-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks tweak'e

Funnily enough I was defragging so that I could image my C: drive prior to playing with my swapfile just in case I stuffed it all up. I was also planning on shifting it to another HDD (Old faithful has three) but on reflection it would probably be better to have it on the 20GB drive in any location as the other two drives are quite old and are probably a lot slower. One is 1.2GB and the other is 4.7GB.

I think I'll settle for a fixed size of 3X my RAM, leave it on the C: drive and be done with it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pheonix
07-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Can do that kind of thing if you have your anti-virus running at the same time.

Billy T
07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Everything is supposed to be off when using Power Defrag Pheonix, only it appears that it doesn't disable the swapfile so it is still prone to restarts!

But what would the swapfile be trying to do during defrag anyway, now that I come to think of it. Surely it cannot be involved in the defrag process, but if it isn't, where do all the fragmented bits go before they are reassembled into contiguous files?

This is making my head hurt again!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 11:44 PM
with all the program off you are useing small amout of memory so windows goes and decides to resize the swap file as you aern't useing much/any of it which of course changes the disk contents so defrag restarts. it seams all defrag programs suffer from this.

as far as size goes you already know my thoughts on the 2x/2.5x/3x bullshit rule ;-)

Rod ger
08-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Billy have a look here( the other Billy may have an answer for you):
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263>

I started to read some of it but you really need to look at it yourself.

Billy T
08-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks Rod Ger, but Bill had nothing new to offer there, except a credible explanation for the long pauses that happen some times during defrag.

It seems that deletion of large numbers of redundant files (including temporary Internet file accumulations) prior to defrag will cause the program to slow while it deals with this newly vacated space.

Since I always clean my HDDs before imaging for backups, and then follow the clean with a defrag so that the image is as pristine as I can make it, it's no wonder I see that apparent hang effect on a regular basis!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cicero
27-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks Rod Ger, but Bill had nothing new to offer there, except a credible explanation for the long pauses that happen some times during defrag.

It seems that deletion of large numbers of redundant files (including temporary Internet file accumulations) prior to defrag will cause the program to slow while it deals with this newly vacated space.

Since I always clean my HDDs before imaging for backups, and then follow the clean with a defrag so that the image is as pristine as I can make it, it's no wonder I see that apparent hang effect on a regular basis!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Have you tried runnining CCleaner b4 defragging.?

Safari
27-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Have you tried runnining CCleaner b4 defragging.?

You are about 5 years too late with your reply Cic

Cicero
27-11-2008, 09:15 AM
You are about 5 years too late with your reply Cic

Just wanted to see if your were awake Saf,I should have known.