PDA

View Full Version : PC rebuild heatsink mounting problem

Eorr
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm rebuilding an old PC based on a socket 7 motherboard. I bought an Intel 200MMX CPU with heatsink and fan. The heatsink is green and seems to be very big. I just managed to squeeze it between mobo components to mount on top of the cpu and clip it down but I'm worried it isn't seating properly.

First question is - why would this heatsink be so big - covers the entire socket and some, which means you can't lever the zif to release cpu without removing the heatsink first.

Second - what does the normal heatsink and fan look like? I can't find any pic or spec on the net anywhere. Just o/clocking stuff - which is what I'm suspecting this has been used for.

I'm thinking it should be OK to hack a piece off the side of this thing to make it fit better - anybody care to comment? Cheers.

Graham L
07-08-2003, 05:01 PM
A man after my own heart. Fixes computers with a hacksaw. :D You ought to see me with a gas axe.

How hot does it get? (If you can hold your finger on it for a second, it's no more than 70 degrees C. If it's "warm", it's about 50. )

I don't think a 200 would get very hot anyway ... so cut away. (Just do it well away from the box --- swarf is easier to get into things than out of them.)

If in doubt, new heatsinks with fans are pretty cheap ... even at DSE. :D But anything bigger than the outline of the CPU is more for appearance than use, if it's got a fan.

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 05:47 PM
>why would this heatsink be so big - covers the entire socket and some, which means you can't lever the zif to release cpu without removing the heatsink first.

fairly normal. some people use larger heatsinks as you can use a slower fan and its a lot queiter. or simply they had to get a new heatsink for some reason (fan failure with a non replaceable fan) and they got a generic fan. dosn't mean they where overclocking it.

as far as moding it goes i wouldn't bother unless its hitting the motherboard componants. the bigger the better.

Eorr
07-08-2003, 06:09 PM
> as far as moding it goes i wouldn't bother unless its
> hitting the motherboard componants. the bigger the
> better.

Yeh, it is touching some of the nearby taller components, but I'm not too worried as long as it's seating properly. I think I'll set a thermometer on it to monitor the temperature after startup - I figure if it's seated OK it should heat up to about 40C - agree?

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 10:42 PM
the temp will vary depending on room temp. i wouldn't even bother measureing the temp. those cpu's don't get very hot. for it not to seat correctly you would have to really do an extreamly bad job of installing the heatsink. the surface aera is huge compared to an atho.