PDA

View Full Version : new computer

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 12:44 AM
How's this look for a computer for my daughter, she wants to spend about this much, and isn't into games in a big way.
I'm basically trying to think of anything that I might have missed!

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2000MHz) skt A CPU ( Thoroughbred .13˘Gg 266MHz FSB )
Motherboard Asus A7N8X-X nVidia nForce2 MB ( ATX sktA FSB333 DDR400 AGP8X LAN USB2.0 )
Memory PC2700 512MB DDR 333 SDRAM - Samsung orignal chip
Graphic Asus V9180 Geforce4 MX440 8X AGP 64MB DDR TV Out
Monitor Samsung 753DFX 17" .20mm 1280x1024 flat monitor (3 years on-site warranty)
Storage 1.44MB floppy disk drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200 .7 80.8GB ATA/100 7200RPM hard drive
Optical drive Asus 52x24x52x IDE CD-RW drive
Communication Lectron 56K internal PCI data fax hardware modem V90/V92
On-board 10/100Mbps LAN card
Mouse & keyboard Optical wheel mouse OEM
PC keyboard PS/2
Audio Integrated 5.1 channel PCI sound
Milfordsound FS-210 240W speakers
Case Auriga 2001GH - Medium tower ATX case w/ 300W PSU
Software Trend Micro PC Cillin AntiVirus

Optional- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM(add $189+GST)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition OEM(add $289+GST)
Warranty 1 year return-to-base parts & labour warranty
Optional extra 1 year warranty add $99+gst
Optional extra 2 year warranty add $199+gst

Price : $ 1185 +GST

robsonde
07-08-2003, 12:49 AM
looks good, might i sugest a DVD drive??

BTW only get the home version of XP beacuse you will never use the extras in XP-pro

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Woops! missed that out as it was an extra(did a cut & Paste)

metla
07-08-2003, 12:57 AM
The system is faster then the video card so that will restrict performence when it comes to games,although if games aern't going to be played then it doesn't matter.

Id suggest a more powerful powersupply,but then again,you may never push it to its limits....

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 01:38 AM
Yes I wondered about the power supply and came to the same conclusion. Also the pricing structure make it a little expensive to make substitutions, so I figured if she gets into being a power user and wants a BIG vid card we can upgrade the PS as well.

roofus
07-08-2003, 02:49 PM
if you were to stick a todays mid range card such as a Geforce Ti
then you would still not have any power troubles. (based on the assumption that the monitor power plug doesn't plug into the back of the computer)

tweak\'e
07-08-2003, 03:16 PM
> you would still not have any power troubles. (based on the assumption that the monitor power plug doesn't plug into the back of the computer)

having a monitor pluged into the back of the psu will not cause power problems as the outlet plug is on the input side of the psu not the output ie the psu dosn't regulate the monitor power.

zip1nz
07-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Got 2b a bargain I reckon

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Good to know. Yes I must admit I, looked up Susan's link about power usage in another post and thought there wasn't a lot to spare, but did include the monitor!!

KiwiTT
07-08-2003, 03:49 PM
I chose a bigger PS because I allowed for additional drives or graphics cards.

I would choose the 400 Size, price difference is minimal $20-30, as you increase the load over the life of the PC, additional drives, like DVDRW, CDRW, Better graphics, additional Hard Disks, you wont be worrying about Power, like I was with my old PC.

You may also want to consider a surge protector and external modem.

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Serg protector yes, as for the rest, at the moment my daughter wouldn't want to expand her system( and probably won't ever) and as I said in a pervious post substitutions are a little expensive, Probably they purchased most of the components as a bulk buy which would value the components lower than normal.

KiwiTT
07-08-2003, 04:47 PM
What is the warranty like. I got a similar system for my parents with a 3 year warranty and chose Win2K Pro as opposed to WinXP Home. I didnt like the activation, but wanted the security of NTFS and different levels of security. i.e. when surfing the web you surf as a normal user, which does not have access to system files and directories. Note XP home does not support NTFS.

When you install your system, ensure you setup it so that each user needs to logon, this will give you the two levels of security. (The logon wizard at the beginning of setup asks you if only one user will use this system and setup the user with administrator access.

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 07:17 PM
As my first post shows a standard 12 months warrenty, extendable up to 3 years at $ 100/yr. Security not much of a worry at the moment. I suspect the most mission critical info will be the nom de plumes of the male chatroom participants!!

Concidering the all up price of the system an extra warrenty is probably not worth while, especially as the machine won't be running up a large number of hours. Plus the components have some fairly well known brand names, hopefully bestowing a reasonable reliability on the system!( crosses fingers)
Oh yes! monitor has a three year warrenty.

Jen C
07-08-2003, 07:35 PM
>Note XP home does not support NTFS.

KiwiTT - do you mind explaining what you mean by this? I'm a bit puzzled because I have XP Home with NTFS.

Jen

KiwiTT
08-08-2003, 10:43 AM
I have been misinformed. I was told it did not support NTFS only FAT32. A quick check on Google shows that it does. Shows you can't trust everyone. I'll be double checking my facts next time. Sorry :(

KiwiTT
08-08-2003, 11:04 AM
I have had a check on Microsoft's website and these are the key differences. see here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp)

more differences can be found here (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp)

Pro Features that are useful for home users.

Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored on disk using the NTFS file system. (A good feature for multiple users)

Access Control – restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources. (This is to 2 level access - Administrator and User Level access control)

If you run most of your activitities at this level for Internet and email, you system will remain fairly stable. System files will not be corrupted by most viruses and or malicious web sites.

As a security-aware person and knowing the amount of damage that can be done, by viruses and hackers, I would always insist on the best level of security. I would never endorse XP Home, as Internet and Email is now so important, but also inherently insecure.