PDA

View Full Version : Wiping swap file - Windows '95

Randolph
06-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Could someone please tell me how to reduce the size, or start from scratch with my swap file as I have a small system and it is taking a large proportion of space. I understand there is a way of deleting it, and Windows creates a new one releasing the baggage?

tweak\'e
06-08-2003, 10:04 PM
????? what baggage? ?:|

unless you have set it manually to be a certian size then windows will adjust the size. if think its to big then i suggest you install some more ram.

Rod ger
06-08-2003, 10:34 PM
The Swap File is like an extension of you memory chips, and stores parts of programs that are in memory, but not being used at the moment, on your Harddrive.

In Windows the file expands and contracts according to available space, as you use up your HD space the Swap File will shrink accordingly.

Depending on your setup and specs it is possible to set the Swap File to limited parameters. This is usually when you have a good amount of RAM
installed. It is likely to crash your programs, through lack of memory if you have limited memory and a small Swap File.

What have you got ie OS ,memory, HD( + free space)?

Randolph
07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your reply.
OS Win. '95; Mem. 32mb; HD 1.2GB; Freespace 400mb; Swap file is 25mb at present.

KiwiTT
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
This is what I used to do in Win9x

Created a very small swapfile 16MB.
Defragged the drive
Created a permanent swapfile of xxMB (min/max size the same)
(For your 32MB, one of 64MB should be fine, if not simply increase in 32MB increments, until it is)

Rod ger
07-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Probably not a lot in it, but you could try it. The settings are in Control Panel in systems, click the performance tab and go to virtual memory. If you want to improve the performance another 32Mb of RAM would help. Though its probably EDO RAM and pretty expensive therese days.