PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified file, on Back up cd

beetle
06-08-2003, 01:40 PM
i have been saving some more stuff and deleteing and unistalling things to get rid of excess junk and found this.

it says in pop up box

D:/104036.BK! is not a valid Win32 application

i have obviuosly saved it for some reason but not named it ?
how can i open it to check it?

obviuosly not a good day for that back up as i did not name it correctly...
and so cant open it.
beetle

stu140103
06-08-2003, 01:48 PM
> it says in pop up box
>
> D:/104036.BK! is not a valid Win32 application

Is that the file your are trying to open?????

beetle
06-08-2003, 01:57 PM
trying to identify

godfather
06-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Its a backup from some unknown process.

Open it with notepad, there maybe some readable text that allows you to identify what created it.

beetle
06-08-2003, 02:46 PM
i think i got it ok have possibly found out what it is.....

after 15 error boxes and windows shutting down on me and losing my desktop each time, and lost all data in between that while trying to do the back up each time have given up as CD writer is now playing up and wont always write it to cd........
i am beyond caring whether i save anything now or not.

so im deleting all other stuff, and getting it ready to pack up and off to the black hole of pc co...

and we will see what they have to say

beetle

Graham L
06-08-2003, 04:26 PM
And you believed them when they said a computer would enrich your life, make your work easy, and save the whales, too :D

Billy T
06-08-2003, 05:49 PM
> after 15 error boxes and windows shutting down on me
> and losing my desktop each time, and lost all data
> in between that while trying to do the back up each
> time have given up as CD writer is now playing up and
> wont always write it to cd........
> i am beyond caring whether i save anything now or
> not.
>
> so im deleting all other stuff, and getting it ready
> to pack up and off to the black hole of pc co...

Hi beetle

I must admit that I got a serious touch of the ta-ta's when I read This Thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37969) of yours because you seemed to be engaging in "unsafe" computing practices, especially for a computer used for business (that is, if this computer is for business).

However, regardless of whether it is business computer or not, you need to impose some disciplines on yourself regarding the installation and uninstallation of programs as it is very easy to foul up your computer completely, either through the effects of bad programs, or by the deletion of wrong files while trying to remove them.

No amount of advice or "Black Viper"- type information will bring your computer back into proper and reliable working order if you exceed your own skill levels and ability to follow through the work needed to fix it. That is a harsh reality that we all face from time to time.

Of course doing these things is part of learning, and your skills will grow immensely over time, but you need either a "safe computing" strategy or an "ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, recovery strategy" to keep you up and running.

There are two ways of doing this, one is to use a cheap second-hand computer for playing and keep the good computer for tried, tested and trusted upgrades or programs, and the second is to use drive imaging to restore your hard drive after every "risky playing" session.

I posted some imaging advice on This Thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37979) earlier today and it is relevant to your situation.

I am well known as a drive imaging enthusiast, but bear in mind that in over three years of computing with six different computers on the go at once (using W95, W98 & W2K) I have yet to reformat a hard drive and I have never once had to reinstall an OS.

I have from time to time surfed not wisely, but too well, and had a computer come crashing down around my ears, but every time it has taken just a few minutes to restore my computer to its original state.

Since you are well on the learning curve now (and why would you want to stop?) once your computer is going again, make drive imaging your next learning experience and you will be free to try any challenge you desire. If PC co need to install a second HDD to facilitate this, then now is the time to get them to do it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

attaboy999
06-08-2003, 07:17 PM
try to find it and delete it

Baldy
06-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Very, very, very wise words Mr.T

Billy T
06-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Thank you Baldy :8}

I appreciate your very kind comment, and I sincerely hope that my advice will be of assistance to beetle and any other PF1'er who wants to have risk free bleeding-edge computing experiences and still be able to sleep at night.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

beetle
06-08-2003, 09:04 PM
ok first up this is my personal computer and its all the added extra's im trying to get rid of...... such as unused games, excess programs that i dont want and any general crap i have accumulated.... and finding leftovers from old programs still lingering, incredimail, zonealarm and symatec stuff etc

i am NOT touching the basic ingrediants of the puter...... i am trying to get it back to as near as to when i bought it as i was recomended to do this by certain company's to then not be told this is too blame or that i did this and surfed here or there and got this...... OK?

i am just trying to work out what i have put on and am having major trouble now saving anything..... as my CD is starting to pack it in...

i am not interested in taking apart my file or program systems and windows stuff...... i just want it as empty as possible of my crap as one there will be less to lose and two am trying to find out any other things wrong with it so i can tell them what where and possibly why?

am not wanting to stuff it up any more than it is.......

as most programs shut on me and errors for miles, and i have not changed anything and am not going to try, as i dont have a bloody clue what where or why to change it.....

ok............

so i do realise things go wrong but i have never intentionally done anything to change some settings on my puter just for the hell of it....

and i dont know any more and it has been a @#$#$% of a day and i have not managed a B%$#@#$ thing that has gone write on the puter today....

and in regards to Black Viper or whatever its called.... i only want to identify files or system stuff so i dont accidently move it or delete .... not named by me i dont touch.... if possible, i have been burnt before.

so sorry to sound a grumble but i now have to remember how to set up other computer for internet use when i murder this one....
and if i knew how to install or format i wouldnt be in the crap i am,
and i have learnt heaps and also nothing as i still dont know whats wrong with it or how to fix it .

a very sad sad beetle signing off

beetle

beetle
06-08-2003, 09:40 PM
ok back again....

i have been told all my problems are operator problems and am now very wary of what ido or not do to the puter,

so ..... feeling very noob now

and i have never intentionally changed or altered things, but along the way have stuffed it up big time.... and am now repenting at leisure as it were,
but half my problem is too many people telling me different things and know time for me to work anything out, and know spare oomhp to get it fixed either...
so feeling pretty low about now cos it was me who damaged it.

thank you all for your input,

beetle signing off......