PDA

View Full Version : hp 610c Printer

granpa
06-08-2003, 11:13 AM
My hp610c printer has developed a fault. When I go to print a document it begins to feed the paper- then at the point where it would normally start to print, it stops - the amber light flashes and I get an error message saying ' attempting to send data to printer - printer not responding' or words to that effect.When I press the off (power) button, it feeds the blank sheet of paper out and closes down. When I switch the power back on the amber light is off until it gets to the stage where the paper is starting to feed and the printer should start to print and the cycle is repeated. I have checked the printer with another computer and the problem is the same. I have substituted another printer using the original cables and there is not problem, so I think the cables must be OK.
I have cleaned the carriage bar and still no joy! What have I missed?

robo
06-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the printer needs to see a doctor. I am having feeding issues on my HP Officejet 725 and I think it need servicing too, maybe just a good quality clean.

Visual Electronics are a good crowd, official HP repairers, auckland number is 0-9-415 0120, but they have offices in Wellington and Christchurch.

robo.

Smurf
06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Had a similar problem with my HP printer. Uninstalled it then reinstalled and downloaded a new driver from HP's web site. Worth giving it ago after perhaps checking the HP website ... for troubleshooting solutions.

Susan B
06-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Try what Smurf suggested, ie uninstalling the printer and reinstalling and see if that helps. If it doesn't it probably needs to go to hospital, like Robo says.

Do you have your printer and computer on a power surge protection board? Printers are a bit sensitive to small fluctuations in power and power spikes, more so than the computer itself.

Andrew B
06-08-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what quality your model HP printer is, but I saw a HP Deskjet Photocolour HP 3325 printer (replaces HP 656C) advertised for $69+GST at Corporate Consumables. With printers at that price is it worth getting printers serviced, or even buying new ink cartridges?

granpa
06-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Thank you Robo- I shall try your suggestion.

granpa
06-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Thank you Smurf- I tried that but no difference. thanks for the suggestion anyway.

granpa
06-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks Susan. Yes I do use surge protection for all my gear here. Thanks for your suggestion.

granpa
06-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Thank you Andrew B. Wow! you are right- at that price they really are "throw aways". This 610c is in virtually new condition I had bought it for my daughter a couple of years ago and we only started to use it about 6 months ago. It has worked perfectly in that time but the useage has been light. I must look up that advert you mentioned. Thanks again.

Andrew B
06-08-2003, 12:21 PM
The advert I saw was in a leaflet in my letterbox yesterday.
www.corpcons.co.nz

granpa
06-08-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks Andrew- I havent got that flyer yet.

Rod J
06-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi granpa,

I had to fix a very similar fault in a friends printer recently (same model as yours). It did exactly what you said yours was doing and I couldn't figure out the problem. Took it into the shop for repair and they said it was just the cartridge had run out of ink! I was most embarrassed! :8} Apparently this particular model will do that when it runs out. My HP810C and other printers will continue to print quite happily if they run out of ink, and you just get a blank page, but the 610C doesn't for some reason. Try a new cartridge, it will probably fix it.

Cheers.

granpa
06-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Thank you Rod- Yes I checked that out too!

Billy T
06-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi granpa

Can it print its own test page? I don't know about the HP610c but most printers seem to be able to print a test page without being connected to a computer. My HP6L laser can, and so can my HP1200. All the Canon inkjets I've had were also able to print a page without a computer.

See what the manual says, and give it a go. If that fails you almost certainly have a fault. It shouldn't need a service just for light use though, in fact none of my printers have ever needed a service and I have flogged them quite mercilessly.

They all died from print head collapse due to sheer over work. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

granpa
06-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Thank you Billy for your comments. As a matter of fact it will not print a test page. I have followed the hp. troubleshooting advice but it wont self print or return the print carriage to the right hand side rest position when the lid has been closed. The amber light just carries on blinking and the only way to extinguish ( apart from using Dr. Plumb- my ancient axe)it is to turn the power off. then the carriage returns to its rest position.A new printer looks attractive right now.. But----

exLL
06-08-2003, 11:11 PM
You mentioned that you had cleaned the carriage bar. Did you give it a slight lubrication also? Use a very light grade and a slight smear only. Cooking oil if you haven't any other.

beama
07-08-2003, 12:00 AM
have you tried cleaning the contacts both on the printer cartridges and the carriage

granpa
08-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Thank you all for your help. All your suggestions were useful but I have to confess that my face is now a little red!. I took Robo's advice and contacted Visual Repairs (HP Service Agents) and their Help Desk was very accommodating- They were fairly sure that the problem lay with one of the two ink cartridges-probably the colour one as it tends to get less use than the Black one. I had already looked to see if the cartridges had ink inside and assumed that they were OK- But finally I tried a new colour cartridge and Bingo! the problem disappeared.! So a special thanks to all of you who came to my help..the lesson for me is--give the colour cartridge some work to do occasionally and keep a spare of each in the drawer.:8)