PDA

View Full Version : Company supplied/installed a faulty power supply!!

Nath
05-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Gidday,

I was having problems with random reboots - a company (A) had a look at it and said the power supply and one of the hard drives was damaged. They replaced the power supply with a second hand one - which they said was tested and was all OK - got the computer back and problem with rebooting was still there. Thought I would try another company (B) here in Hamilton and to my surprise and anger the second hand replacement power supply was faulty (a capacitator), and according to company B hadn't been tested (the guarantee sticker wasn't broken or something like that). Also they did some segate standard test on the so called damaged drive and it was all OK.

Company B put in a new power supply and no more random reboots
I payed $35 for inspection and $10 for the faulty second hand power supply to company A. I think I should at least get $10 back, but how about the inspection fee?? I don't think that would come under the consumers guarantee act. It really annoys me to think they were trying to get me to buy a new computer and I am disappointed with company A who I used to have alot of respect for.

Any advice appreciated
cheers
Nath

metla
05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
advice?

yes.

never ever touch a second hand powersupply,they only become second hand for 1 reason,they weren't up to the needs of someone else.

as for shop A,ring them,ask for the boss,lay a complaint.

mikebartnz
05-08-2003, 09:30 PM
It would be nice to know after you have approached company A again it's name and response so that others don't have the same trouble. I would go for a complete refund but they may say company B weren't impartial.

Dolby Digital
05-08-2003, 10:32 PM
>>never ever touch a second hand powersupply,they only become second hand for 1 reason,they weren't up to the needs of someone else.
I have purchased second hand power supplies and they run fine. Depends on the circumstances of how they became second hand.

Dolby Digital
05-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Maybe you should have gone back to company A for them to put right (for no charge hopefully). Then if they refused to fix it for free, go to company B for another opinion.

PoWa
06-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Hamilton eh...

Tobas
06-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Heh Heh, I can just see PoWa, with eyes so squinty and as red as blood, gleaming with the ambition to pounce the very second someone reveals one of the two companies to be 'That Dreaded One' from Hamilton.

Go I dare you, nominate the 'The PC Company' to be company A, but when U do, run run run, hide behind the skirts of you mother and tremble as U next enter the zone of PF1.

:-) :-(

somebody
06-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Depending on their definition of "tested", it could simply mean being plugged into a computer, and switched on to see if it would supply power.

Ring Company A, ask for the manager and complain. Send/Fax a written complaint to them - try to sound very formal like you're a lawyer - from personal experience, it helps.

hashi_lebwohl
06-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Yeah...looking a bit further into it, it appears that it was a company starting with "PB".

Sorry...no flames here.

hashi_lebwohl
06-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if you got that XP recovery CD I sent you...have you tried it out yet? Have you discovered that it can be used on just about any PC?

I think i put my return address on it, so when you are done with it, could you send it back please.

mikebartnz
06-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi there hashi_lebwohl
Yes I did try it and then it got buried in paper and forgot sorry will try to get it off tomorrow.

Sorry folks

PoWa
06-08-2003, 11:00 PM
LOL @ Tobas, I hope it lightened your day a little.

I see Mike and hashi have solved their argument about the cd from a few months ago :p Did it install ok for you mike?

mikebartnz
06-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Did not install(I'm happy with my PC) it but viewed it and it appeared to be a copy of the WinXP disk unlike all recovery disks I have previously seen which have appeared more like a Ghosted image. I guess with WinXP's activation things have changed there a little.

Sorry again folks.

Jim**
16-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey Nath,

can I ask what exactly your problem was with rebooting? I may be having a similar problem and would be keen to learn if your solution would be for me also...

cheers.

drcspy
17-02-2004, 06:12 AM
.........not hijacking here again but............pc company 'recovery disks' well the ones I've seen were simply XP and nothign else