PDA

View Full Version : What certs are good??( Or have you got a job for me)

Jock Whiteside
05-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey all im leaving high school at the end of this year and im wondering what certs i should aim for or what computer courses i should start.

At the moment im doing level 3 computers, done level 2 and im also doing a little course that the school has on dreamweaver thats a level 3,4, and 5( its from carich). I do programming (maily in delphi, only know a little c++ and vb) and i also do a bit of javascript and html. I have made about 5 computers and can setup and tweak a windows OS to a fast starndard. At the moment im doing that NZoom web challange. I have also made Tic Tac toe in MS Excel (got a bit of track doing macros ;-) )

Im looking at being a computer tech or maybe doning programming or maybe even web disign about the only thing i dont know my way around is linux.

If you know any courses that would help me in any of those fields or have a jod for me post here or email me NZ_Jocko@hotmail.com

Thank you
Jock Whiteside

stu140103
05-08-2003, 04:44 PM
> Im looking at being a computer tech or maybe doning
> programming or maybe even web disign about the only
> thing i dont know my way around is linux.

From one ex (I also have flinched college/High school last year) High school student (Now web designer) to another

You will not get any web design work out of the Press F1 community!, trust me I have try! Unsuccessfully

Your best bet if you are looking for work is to look on a Job search site e.g. Netcheck, Seek etc.....

Dolby Digital
05-08-2003, 04:59 PM
>>You will not get any web design work out of the Press F1 community!, trust me I have try! Unsuccessfully
Its not sort of forum... work is hard to come by (or is only for us 20 years + in the IT industry)

stu140103
05-08-2003, 05:08 PM
> >>You will not get any web design work out of the
> Press F1 community!, trust me I have try!
> Unsuccessfully
> Its not sort of forum... work is hard to come by

I agree, unless we are looking in the wrong places or doing something wrong?????

Jester
05-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Hiya Stu, try not to take this too personally, but spelling and correct grammar help anyone applying for / seeking a position, in any industry. I have employed several staff and care in the presentation of the written word is often a factor in determining whether the applicant is right for the position.

As far as having all the right awards / diplomas / certificates, it is also not always the most qualified applicant who gets the job either.

That's not to say that in the computer industry these things aren't important, but companies do like to think they can mould the employee to their liking, rather than having to re-train a highly qualified know it all.

J
:D

Dolby Digital
05-08-2003, 06:59 PM
>>I agree, unless we are looking in the wrong places or doing something wrong?????
They say that only 30% (or something like that) of jobs get advertised. Major disadvantage if you only look in the paper, websites and agencies. You have to get your foot in the door without it being closed with your foot still there :D

Getting Microsoft certified can help you get a foot in the door these days depending on what you want to do. Lots of IT grads are coming out of varsity and polytech and some can't find jobs.

tango
05-08-2003, 09:52 PM
hey do you go to the lans here in rotorua?? you're mates with stephen and the other toke guys ay?

if you are, i'm andrew, the ginge guy!!

Jock Whiteside
05-08-2003, 11:38 PM
OMG!!! its Andrew.

Hey man havent heard from you for a while(maybe cause i dont have you on my new hotmail) but anyways add me. NZ_Jocko@hotmail.com

Are you going to the up comming lan?
Me and stephen are.
If so see ya there.

somebody
06-08-2003, 08:10 AM
I know someone who left school, did a few courses, and got a job as a computer technician. He still continues to study, doing night-courses to build up his list of computing qualifications. It seems like a good idea - he's making a living while gaining qualifications at the same time.

KiwiTT
06-08-2003, 10:06 AM
I have to concur.

The computer industry is where accuracy is paramount. One syntax error and you can shutdown an entire system, cause a program to stop working, etc. e.g. If you are working on Wholesale ISP Internet Routers, you can bring down a large section of the internet.

Focus on accuracy and presentation.

Kame
06-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Harsh Stu, I don't think you'll get any work out of PF1 Community with that sort of attitude. You've given up and there's no determination. Although why try PF1? There are bigger and better places (sorry PF1 :P) to try and posting for a job in a forum is just like posting your CV to a jobsite, rare occassion someone gets noticed.

You have to hit them directly, find a place you want to work for, read up on that company, find out names of important people, speak to them, show them that you know a lot about their company, they are impressed with people who have done their research. Let them know you are interested in a job with them, give them your CV, and they may let you know down the track if they require you. Just don't give up.

Web designing is hard to tap into unless you are GOOD at graphics and GOOD at web languages. You get paid what you are worth sometimes. I wouldn't pay you for WYSIWYG designs and static HTML isn't where designing is, although it's acceptable for smaller places and these people would pay you for WYSIWYG because they don't have the time.

However if your Graphics were GOOD but your web designing wasn't, consider it you've got the job as the other things can be taught in a short time, graphics skills is a talent, web designing isn't unless you do something amazing.

Greg S
06-08-2003, 07:17 PM
> graphics skills is a talent, web designing isn't
> unless you do something amazing.

Wow, you must've been talking about me - I couldn't agree more!

Stu... I started working for myself full time only early this year, and I've got over 2 dozen customers already - 95% from either cold-calling via the phone, or word of mouth. I'd suggest trying out a bit of humble door knocking, with accurate and honest information to give, and a reasonable portfolio of sites to demonstrate.

Also remember that the web creation market is totally saturated in NZ. You have to be able to do most of what everybody else does, do most of what they do better, then do stuff that nobody else does. Finally you'll need to know how to get the message across to your potential customers - therefore some marketing and sales skills and experience would be useful.

stu140103
06-08-2003, 07:37 PM
First before I reply to Kame & Greg S post I wish to apologise To Jock Whiteside for side stepping the point of his post, I am very sorry :)

stu140103
06-08-2003, 07:49 PM
> Greg S wrote:
> Stu... I started working for myself full time only
> early this year, and I've got over 2 dozen customers
> already - 95% from either cold-calling via the phone,
> or word of mouth.
> I'd suggest trying out a bit of
> humble door knocking, with accurate and honest
> information to give
>, and a reasonable portfolio of
> sites to demonstrate.

yeath, But that is all well( you are working by your self & you have your own company), But How do you get a reasonable portfolio of sites when you have no clients ( or the boss & client has a don’t see eye to eye) or they pull the plug) & there is no work around?????(Where I have looked for work)

stu140103
06-08-2003, 07:59 PM
> > Greg S wrote:
> > Stu... I started working for myself full time only
> > early this year, and I've got over 2 dozen
> customers
> > already - 95% from either cold-calling via the
> phone,
> > or word of mouth.

Also I have been looking for work since early this year as well

8 months latter, I have no "real" work or "customers / clients"

Jim B
06-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Why don't you just take any job you can get in the meantime.

There are other things in life apart from computers and you never know what will come your way once you are in the work force.

Why not something like a call centre or helpdesk, anything to get into an organization and then opportunities could then arise when you have proved to be reliable and your abilities have been noticed.

It is not always possible to start work in your preferred area, but it is important to start somewhere to build up a good work record and to obtain references for future applications.

stu140103
06-08-2003, 10:03 PM
> Why don't you just take any job you can get in the
> meantime.

It is not that easy because they is nothing out there, which tacks my fancy, & other reason... which I am not going to say on here...

> There are other things in life apart from computers
> and you never know what will come your way once you
> are in the work force.

But it is hard getting in to the work force, plus there are only two things I am ok with 1 computers (web) 2. Gardening / Hort

vk_dre
06-08-2003, 10:59 PM
why dont u go overseas? Then u'll really feel the pressure, its gonna be a lot harder n places like US compared to here, cos the IT industry is filled to the brim with keen eyed people straight out of IT colleges averaging A+'s in their various thesis reports. So wot are u expecting to be in life? Work to ur dream just dont visualise it, live it. The basic rule is : Give Something (Input) To Get Something created/started (output). nothing will magically come to u and ask u to work for it. :D

cheers,
v.K

Dolby Digital
07-08-2003, 09:26 AM
>>therefore some marketing and sales skills and experience would be useful
I think that counts out Stu. Maybe you need to invent a portfolio (oops - did I say that - how naughty). Have you tried doing some sites for free for some non-profit organisations.

stu140103
07-08-2003, 11:51 AM
> Have you tried doing some sites for free for some
> non-profit organisations.

I have been talking to a non-profit organisation but (You know what people are like today they are just too busy or they maybe lazily who knows......), so I have not had much luck with them.

Kame
07-08-2003, 01:44 PM
If you are interested in callcentre work then send your CV to or get hold of:

Tania Howard
Recruitment Manager
TeleTech Limited

DDI: 9 529 3078
Fax: 9 529 3168
Mob: 027 2232 320

tania.howard *at* nz.teletech.com

Level 4, 277 Broadway, Newmarket
P O Box 99 736, Newmarket, Auckland

It could be Auckland area only, and I believe Xtra has finished it's schedule assessments so it could be months for the next job assessment there. I'm sure they do other job assessments for other companies too.

Just let her know what type of work you are interested in along the lines of helpdesk and she'll get back to you hopefully. Make sure your CV or method you contact her she can get back to you.

Hmm... maybe we could post details of important recruitment agencies that are useful, I know TeleTech is vital in Xtra Helpdesk positions and maybe other ISPs. Read up on this company and find out what they do and it doesn't hurt to ask them what they do either. Hopefully this may help some peope.

Dolby Digital
07-08-2003, 02:11 PM
>>I have been talking to a non-profit organisation
You probably need to try a few and/or take some sales/marketing lessons from Greg S :D

stu140103
12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
> >>I have been talking to a non-profit organisation
> You probably need to try a few and/or take some
> sales/marketing lessons from Greg S :D

I am just been patient with them :)

stu140103
12-08-2003, 01:07 PM
> Harsh Stu, I don't think you'll get any work out of
> PF1 Community with that sort of attitude.

What... I ask & I got shot it the foot by the PF1 Community!

> You've
> given up and there's no determination.

NO I have not given up, I am just frustrate

>Although why
> try PF1?

Because it is a sort of well know forum for computer/ Internet help. :)

> There are bigger and better places (sorry
> PF1 :P)

Like where????? If you do not want to say here you can e-mail me: stuartw77 at hotmail dot com

>to try and posting for a job in a forum is
> just like posting your CV to a jobsite, rare
> occassion someone gets noticed.

I know…

Baldy
12-08-2003, 06:06 PM
> > Harsh Stu, I don't think you'll get any work out
> of
> > PF1 Community with that sort of attitude.
>
> What... I ask & I got shot it the foot by the PF1
> Community!
>

I agree there stu.......... some of the replys you got on that thread were plain rude and ignorant. Talk about kicking stu when he was down

Winston001
12-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I am sure no-one meant to be rude or mean to Stu or Jock. His frustration is understandable.
This is an ideal forum to ask for some advice from a wide range of people with experience. Helpful people.
However we need to be rational when the answers are not what we wish for. I found myself nodding wisely (if that is possible) at various suggestions. Life is not easy or even fair.
I suggest Stu and Jock do some unpaid work for clubs and local groups using computing skills. This will yield some undying gratitude as well as respect and references. Qualifications are not worth a lot without experience. Forget about money in the short term, you have to build up credibility.
Also try working at something not directly related to computing - serendipity can provide opportunities you would never have expected. The more people you have contact with, the better your chances.

Good luck to both of you.
Winston001

PS- Sorry but I have got to strongly agree about spelling and grammar. It may not be taught much in schools but errors completely distract from the message. Bad spelling is a bad look.:D

stu140103
12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
> I suggest Stu and Jock do some unpaid work for clubs
> and local groups using computing skills.

That is all well if you are S t i l l at school! & You have thing to do part from layering around the house but I am NOT AT School so you can see where I am coming from….......

> This will
> yield some undying gratitude as well as respect and
> references. Qualifications are not worth a lot
> without experience. Forget about money in the short
> term, you have to build up credibility.