PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer not accessing web

semaj695
05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
My home computer uses ME has 30GB HDD that my son has drained from 10GB free to 6.0GB free in 1 week. My ISP is Paradise. I can connect and download e-mail (using Pegasus) no problems. IE6 will not connect to the web. I can ping my home page (Google.co.nz) but IE6 gets hung up after finding and supposedly connecting to google. The IE6 page remains blank.

On top of this the system is dead slow. I have had the system set for automatic MS software updates of ME and IE6 and this may be responsible??

I tried ME defragging last night but this did not proceed it just appeared to hang.

I also am unable to get my Symantec virus checker to operate. Otherwise everything else is ticking away as normal.

Any assistance on where I should go from here is appreciated. I am prepared to burn all my data and program files and reformat if necessary but 24gb is a bit to save and rebuild.

Thanx

Jim B
05-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Have you a firewall installed such as Zone Alarm

In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections
Check your ISP connection is showing Default and "Always dial my default connection" is selected below.

Justin
05-08-2003, 03:08 PM
perhaps you have a virus that is stopping your virus checker from work, i would look in the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) for suspicious applications. but you would probably have to search through all the legitimate applications, which there may be a lot of.

stu140103
05-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Both Jim B & Justin have good points, try what they have suggest because it sounds like your son has given you a virus.

Post back here on how you get on

Do not reformat just yet :), you should not need to, but that is last resort

PS: semaj695 Welcome to Press F1 :)

semaj695
05-08-2003, 03:28 PM
I do not have zone alarm and my ISP connection is set at "Always dial my default connection". I went through my connection options last night with the Paradise help desk. My connection appeared ok as I could ping the necessary IP addresses. The problem appears to be other software (and possibly a virus).

My son uses MSN and Kazaa to pull down music and some software (mainly games).

Not being to run my virus software is a concern. I will attempt to look into this area again tonight.

Thanks for your assistance

semaj695
05-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Determining what is suspicious in task manager is a problem as I am unable to quickly determine what is legit and what is suspicious, however I will move through this area also tonight.

Thanks

yang11
05-08-2003, 03:36 PM
use adaware 6 to search/scan/clean. it is free.

spyware may have already damaged/replaced your windows tcp/ip stack, evenif you can still ping the net. in this case, you need a LSP-fix.

or use windows me restore feature, but you need remember when you w-me worked last time.

if still no luck, maybe its time for a fresh installation.

cheers

Jim B
05-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Go to Control panels|Add remove programs and check if you have new.net which is spyware which will prevent internet access.

stu140103
05-08-2003, 04:07 PM
> Determining what is suspicious in task manager is a
> problem as I am unable to quickly determine what is
> legit and what is suspicious, however I will move
> through this area also tonight.

If you go to Start \Programs\Accessories\System Tools then click on System Information( Note: this will take a few sec to load) then click on tools drop down menu then select System configuration utility then click on the start-up tab, ( then you can see where all thou Programs are save) then just go throw & disable most of them part from( I also have win ME ) :

ScanRegistry
Taskmonitor
PChealth
*statemgr
schedulingAgent
LoadPowerProfile
SystemTray

If you are not sure about any of them, just disable it ( & then ask), & see what happens :)

Hope this helps

Fire-and-Ice
05-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Pacs-Portal is an excellent site to identify programs that are running in your tasklist: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#THE_PROGRAMS