PDA

View Full Version : PressF1

leshibbard
05-08-2003, 12:20 PM
PressF1 helpers' have to be congratulated on the excellent response to Help questions placed on this site.

I have been a bit slow to say thanks, but this is due to the fact that we are trying to compile family histories, so that we can visit the Ancestors' origins.

Our two old pentiums don't have enough grunt, so a lot of time is taken up with to and frowing between Familysearch and other Genealogy websites.

The Latter Day Saints too have done a great service in compiling their vast database of names and places.

Thanks again for all of the assistance given.

Les3

Ps. Yes, just recently I have "gotten" another two direct G-G-Grandfathers' from LDS. site.

Les3

Billy T
05-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi Les

How easy is access to the LDS site and is it subscriber only? I went looking for it a few years back and hit a wall somewhere, I can't quite remember why or how, though my search skills have improved somewhat since then. Any URLs or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Poppa John
05-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Billy T.. Try www.familysearch.org PJ
Have used them over the net & "Hands on " at one of their research Centres. which is free, donations accepted. Have been at it for years on my bloodline name which is different to my surname. Have got back to 1753 Proven & 1654 Unproven.
There is a guy in Rangiora who will do a complete research for you , or as in our case, will get relevant certificates from the UK. Not a free service of course. He is on the Net as well. If you need any advice or help, sing out. Either here or I will give you my Hotmail address. Somehow I think you are in ChCh?, if so Rangiora is just down the road. PJ

leshibbard
05-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Billy T as popa john says it's a free site, and you can download their free software, which I have found to be a very easy program to use.

www.familysearch.org and select Search, and on the left hnd side of the next window, choose either All Source or IGI, and type in your father's surname and grandfathers and follow on down and see what you come up with.

I assisted the LDS people in testing their latest Beta ware but have only just been able to get into the guts of the search facility, that's how the xtra two Greats came out from.

Try Google even type in your surname and see how many hits come back!!!.

Les3

leshibbard
05-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Poppa John, sorry I miised a "P" out of the previous reply.

The bloke in Rangiora is Colin Fitzgerald I think, not cheap though.

Have just gotten back to 1685, with the two G-G-Grandfathers, and that is now as far as it goes.

Will see how we get on when we visit England this year.

Les3

Poppa John
05-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Les. Tony.Fitgerald@xtra.co.nz. This is probably the easiest way of getting a Birth, Marriage or death certificate out of the UK. Unless you have some one over there who will run aeound for you. Last i heard A Copy Cert was about 7 UK Pounds ($21??) Tony charges $28 at the moment. PJ

Billy T
05-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks PJ & Les

My late father spent years (pre internet) researching by mail via a researcher in the UK but without any real results. We know everything about our paternal line from the time the family stepped onto the dock to embark for NZ but absolutely nothing from that day back.

Ours is not a particularly common surname so we always hoped that we would make progress one day when more records were committed to computer.

Now to begin the search!

Cheers and thanks again

Billy 8-{)

leshibbard
06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Hi Billy T, my e-mail address lhibbard@xtra.co.nz.

Send me your surnames and first names and I will see what comes up on the CDs' I have on the 1851 Census and British Isles Vital Records.

If you like we can help you through the LDS site, which seems to be the way to go.

All the hits have to be confirmed as Poppa John states, from the source records, Parish Registers etc.

When I had a few "bob" back in the 80's Kintracers in Kent did research for me, for my Aunt, it was expensive and this researcher went belly-up.

Regards,

Les3

leshibbard
06-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Poppa John, thanks for that. Tony used to be a poultry farmer, a client of ours. Perhaps he will give me "bulk rates"!.

We are visiting England this year and hope to get more info in the area of our research.

Have a death date for my latest G-G-G-G-Grandfather 7 Dec1729, so will try Tony first.

Regards,

Les3