PDA

View Full Version : Word XP default picture editor

Denfinn
05-08-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm using Word XP, and i'm wondering how to I change the default picture editor to Paint. I tried looking in the options window and clicking on the picture editor box, but only 'Microsoft Word' is listed. Any ideas? I'm using XP Home as my o/s.

Hawk
05-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Hi,
Find a picture you want and right click it and select "open with" and you should be able to select the mspsint program.

Well atleast thats how it works for me.. hopefully it will for ya

parry
05-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi when you say you are using Word to edit the picture, do you mean you have inserted a picture into a Word doc then you are editing it from there? I havent got WordXP at work, but I believe all versions dont give you the option of using a specific image editor from within Word itself.

You are best to edit a picture outside of word unless you are doing something very basic.

Pictures are opened by a particular program dependant upon their file extension (the last three or more characters after the period - you will need to have the "Hide file extensions of known types" turned off in Folder options to see extensions). For example, a bitmap (BMP) may open with MSPaint while a JPEG (Jpg) may open with Internet Explorer.

You may need to amend which program starts up for some of your file extensions if the correct program isnt starting up when you click on a file. See FAQ#13 on how to do this.

ladyamom
17-04-2006, 09:50 PM
The small image editor utility
"imgeditor.zip" at this website
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm
worked perfectly to resolve this problem for me
in changing the default editor for the "picture and fax viewer".
Since it changes the default picture editor, I would think
it would also work with any other program that uses the
default editor.

Scroll down the page, it is near the very bottom
where it says "Automate the above with this utility."

Note of caution to other windows users ...
this utility was labeled for use with Windows XP only.

I'm using Word XP, and i'm wondering how to I change the default picture editor to Paint. I tried looking in the options window and clicking on the picture editor box, but only 'Microsoft Word' is listed. Any ideas? I'm using XP Home as my o/s.

pctek
17-04-2006, 10:18 PM
You can change any file extension to open with whatever program you have installed.
For instance, all .jpg files to use Paint.
From Windows Explorer, choose Tools from the menu, then Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab, scroll to the file extesnion you want. Click on it, click the Change button and then choose the program you want it to open with from the list or Browse to the location of the program.
From then on, it will use that specified program.
This applies to all versions of Windows. Well maybe not 3.1 but who cares...