PDA

View Full Version : Modem problem with Win XP

tbacon_nz
05-08-2003, 09:44 AM
First the scenario, then the questions:

I had an internal modem in an ISA slot running under WIN98SE, which ran fine, most of the time.

For various reasons I changed to an internal modem in a PCI slot, and seemed to be getting quite frequent disconnection problems.

(Both of these are Dynalink modems).

Put the PCI modem into a new machine running WIN XP Home, using the generic WINXP drivers as recommended by Dynalink. Now I get:

- Frequent disconnections
- Great difficulty connecting at times (to IHUG) - messages like "The remote computer did not respond" or "unable to establish a connection"
- very slow connections sometimes (like 14.4k)
- even when connected at reasonable speed, unable to do anything.(Literally - Outlook will not get mail, websites don't load).

So the questions are:

Do I have a problem with that specific modem? (note the issues with both Win98SE and WIN XP)

Is there a better set of drivers?

Do I have a problem with IHUG?

If I decide to replace the modem, is there any benefit in going for an external rather than internal device, and if so, USB or Serial?

Is this a case of getting what you pay for, i.e. is a <$100 Dick Smith modem not as good as a more expensive big-name model, and if so, in what way, and what big-name model should I look for? I do need faxing, I don't need fancy answering machine stuff or anything like that.

Sorry for so many questions, but this is driving me nuts!

godfather
05-08-2003, 11:04 AM
> Do I have a problem with that specific modem? (note
> the issues with both Win98SE and WIN XP)

Possibly. Dynalink are reasonable quality and usually reliable.

> Is there a better set of drivers?

For XP, the issue of drivers comes down to those that work. Unfortunately not all do.

> Do I have a problem with IHUG?

Unlikely

> If I decide to replace the modem, is there any
> benefit in going for an external rather than internal
> device, and if so, USB or Serial?

This is a well discussed (and controversial) area.
PCI slot modems are usually "winmodems", or "software modems" that rely totally on the main CPU to allow them to act as a modem. Accordingly they are 100% reliant on there being no conflict in hardware or software running on the PC. The makers cannot forsee every possibility and therefore there does appear to be instances where they are just not compatable.
In normal circumstances they go fine. When they don't, they can be a problem that often cannot be resolved. They are cheap.

USB modems are just "winmodems" that have the added overhead of a USB interface, so you would not be gaining anything (in fact you could be adding to your problems).

Serial RS232 "hardware" modems are completely self contained and do not rely on the PCs CPU for their operation, they are dearer but more stable and reliable. They cost more.

> Is this a case of getting what you pay for, i.e. is a
> <$100 Dick Smith modem not as good as a more
> expensive big-name model, and if so, in what way, and
> what big-name model should I look for? I do need
> faxing, I don't need fancy answering machine stuff or
> anything like that.

In that hardware serial modems are more exoensive, yes you get what you pay for.

Your old ISA modem was likely a hardware modem. Pity PCs don't have an ISA slot these days, they were usually good modems.

yang11
05-08-2003, 12:03 PM
hey there,

check your phone line.

before you do that check your system first:

goto www.dynalink.co.nz to look for new drivers.
do not use xp default one if there is a new driver from dynalink.
if your pci modem is 1456VQH-T4, update to new driver.

I found out some old dyna pci modem is sensitive to line noise(maybe its just faulty), replace your modem.

if still no luck, try another brand.

if pci modems just wont work with your system, then pci bus is faulty.

good luck

tbacon_nz
05-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys for your replies.

Line noise is less likely to be a problem, as this is a new house with underground to the street - I realize there could still be a problem somewhere else, though.

The modem is a Dynalink 1456 VQH-R , and their website still says to use the default XP drivers. What about trying a Win2000 driver? - is that a possibility?

I did not know about PCI modems being softmodems - veeery interesting!

So if I decide to get an external serial modem, any recommendations about brands and what to look for?

godfather
05-08-2003, 09:09 PM
> I did not know about PCI modems being softmodems -
> veeery interesting!
In America its possible to get a hardware PCI modem, and I have seen one for sale on Trademe, so I stop short of saying all PCI modems are winmodems.

If you want it spelt out, do a Google....or look here (http://www.nook.net/nook/nn_modemfaq.html) and scroll down the page to where they talk about winmodems. This is a help page for an ISP and I get the message they do not like winmodems.

> So if I decide to get an external serial modem, any
> recommendations about brands and what to look for?

I have had good results from both Dynalink and D-Link external serial modems. Given that I used to buy them 100 at a time I can say they were quite reliable.

tbacon_nz
05-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks Godfather, I'll check them out.