PDA

View Full Version : XP Home to XP Home ICS sort of works?

Stumped Badly
05-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Hi,
Anyone come across this before?

Host is XP home machine with ICS enabled.
USB DSL Modem.
LAN setup using Network Wizard.
Surfs the net etc. no problem at all.
LAN works perfectly.

Client is XP Home Laptop no ICS enabled.
LAN & internet connection setup using Network wizard.
LAN works perfectly.
NET sort of works.

I can access the TradeMe site, Microsoft Update Site & Westpac Online Banking & Messenger 6.0 works as well (Can send & recieve messsages)that's it. I can't access any other sites at all.
I connect the modem up to the Laptop & can go anywhere I like with no problems at all.
Tried all the various settings in IE6 but nothing seems to fix it.
Used Window Washer to clear caches on both machines with the same result.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Chilling_Silently
05-08-2003, 12:15 PM
ICS does not need to be enabled on the Client PC at all, so you're alright there...

Try this:

Open up your Network Connections in the Control Panel, find your LAN connection and choose Properties

Click on TCP/IP and Properties
Check what is in the DNS Server/Gateway settings

Try adding Xtra's Alien/Terminator servers (1 and 2):

See if that helps, but note down your current settings, just in case you wish to go back!

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103
05-08-2003, 12:50 PM
OT:

There has been a few post about people having problems with ICS & win XP Home, there must be a bug with ICS in win XP home?????

Does any one else agree with me here or is it just fate that people are having this problem?????

I wonder if it is a bug & if it is does Microsoft know about this???? Hmmm

Sorry for OT this thread

Kame
05-08-2003, 01:56 PM
There could be a bug, but the problem in my opinion is that networking isn't as user friendly as the day by day things.

You really have to understand a little about networking and TCP/IP and setting up networks. Wizard programs aren't the key to setting it up, as they only do what should work for most people, MS probably could tell you that there will be some who will have problems as they could say this about every product they release, they may even suggest you manually configure it.

Stumped Badly
05-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions tonight.
I actually had set everything up manually originally, but had the same problem so I deleted all my settings & used the wizard hoping things would get better, not so.
The thing I can't understand is being able to access a couple of sites & nothing else.
It's just plain weird.

Chilling_Silently
05-08-2003, 08:58 PM
See if it does google and xtra... before and after...?