PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook Versus Outlook Express

Jaunty
05-08-2003, 12:47 AM
How do I uninstall and get rid of "Microsoft Outlook" for good. I never have used it (I use only "Outlook Express ") but it keeps squeezing in at every opportunity. I would like Outlook Express to be my default mail for all software.

I am using Windows Me.

PeebZ
05-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi Jaunty ,

Have a look in add/remove programs can you find Oulook there ??
(Find add/remove in the control panel)

Outlook can also be installed as part of the Office suite of apps, to remove head back to add/remove and choose Microsoft Office..the office installer will lauch and choose to remove outlook. (The rest of the office suite will remain fine)

Once all done, Outlook express should now be the head honcho of the email apps on your pc, if not from Control panel choose Internet options > Programs. Under the email drop down choose outlook express. Apply your changes and OE has taken over.

Jess

Jaunty
05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Pbeez.
Hi Jess thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Microsoft Outlook does not appear in "Add Remove". Also all drop down menus for selecting e-mail programmes have only one option "like Microsoft Outlook".

Is there anything else I can do. I shall try uninstalling "Office 97 " and see if that helps.

Ivan.

Susan B
05-08-2003, 06:36 PM
You do not need to uninstall Office completely -- just run the Add/Remove option for Office and choose Change (or whatever it is in Win ME). In the menu you should then have the option of removing the tick from Outlook and when OK is pressed Office should then remove Outlook.

As long as you keep all your fingers and toes crossed and hold your tongue correctly, Outlook Express should then take over as default mail application. :-)

Jaunty
05-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Thank you Susan, I shall try your suggestion and let you know how I get on.

Jaunty

Jaunty
05-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi Susan........ I went to Add Remove, Put in my Office pro 97 disk, was asked to unclick any I wanted to delete. and unclicked Microsoft Outlook. Then restarted my computer. However when I open Internet Explorer, select tools, Options, Programmes. the box for email is now empty but it will not allow me to print 'Outlook express into it. The next box below is for 'Newsgroups' and it has Outlook Express entered in it.

Is this ok?

Jaunty

Susan B
06-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Outlook Express *should* be in that email field in Internet Explorer but if you do not click on any "email me" type of links while browsing then you will not miss it. It is just as easy to fire up OE and copy and paste email addresses into it.

If it is a feature that you do use and would miss I will have to find out how to get it back in there. Just let me know if you need help with it. :-)

Jim B
06-08-2003, 12:09 PM
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

Jaunty
06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Thank you for your reply Jim but unfortunately I do not have the expertise or enough knowledge carry to out these all of these instructions. Is there any simpler way or can I be stepped through?

TonyF
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

Neat response, but how is it that both you and Susan B are suddenly in a time warp ? Come back to PM right now !!

Cheers T

Jim B
07-08-2003, 09:16 AM
That is the easy way Jaunty, just follow the instructions and it will become clear.

Tony F. you will have to translate.

Murray P
07-08-2003, 10:10 AM
For any who are interested the restore OE file, linked above, works for win 2k (pro, SP3) as well as XP. Thanks Jim and SB. Its a very simple little tool Jaunty. Download, unzip, and double click on the .exe file, click restore.

Cheers Murray P