PDA

View Full Version : Program files....

beetle
05-08-2003, 12:38 AM
i supose this is a old question, how do i kow what is a used file (regularly)

and what is a deleted or uninstalled leftover file when i dont recognise the name of a file?

i would like to do a thorough search of what each file is and does but am not sure where to start, and as i do not want to do anything which includes registry yet, would the best method be write down details and google it?
as i seem not to key in the correct words most times googling it turns into frustration...
or ask thousands of questions of pf1? or is their a program or web page detailing the most common ones?

i am prone to insatlling something and it does nt work or i dont like how it works and then unisntalling it only to find bits of it every where...
but am more worried about the files that are empty or created or modified at odd hours when i would not be alive let alone able to modify them....
as also their are lots of things running in the background i was wondering if less is best for the puter ? im trying to find things running in the back ground and why and do i use it or not etc...

so i guess it 2 questions really 1 is identify my files / programs ?
2 and what applications are essential to run in the background? what can i kill? LOL

beetle

PeebZ
05-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Hi beetle,

Couple of things yo look at when cleaning the ole PC up..

First off to equip your self with the right set of tools..
For Reg. and unsed File housekeeping I would recommend "jv16 PowerTools 1.4"
(http://www.macecraft.com/)
For finding out what all the programs that are starting up are, consult Pacman's Portal startup content list (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm)
For cleaning out the Internet temp files, Still nothing beter than Spider (http://www.fsm.nl/ward/).

The use of these tools are pretty safe to use on your Pc,
jv16 PowerTools 1.4 can search for un-used files and dll's..

If you would like a detail explation on how to use these toys, just let us know

Jess

Scouse
05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi Beetle
I seem to remember you upgrading recently???
If the OS is Win XP then read on.

For this section of your query...
as also their are lots of things running in the background i was wondering if less is best for the puter ? im trying to find things running in the back ground and why and do i use it or not etc...
Have a look at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm.
The author will assist you to disable most of the background items.

stu140103
05-08-2003, 01:21 PM
> i supose this is a old question, how do i kow what
> is a used file (regularly)
>
> and what is a deleted or uninstalled leftover file
> when i dont recognise the name of a file?
>
> i would like to do a thorough search of what each
> file is and does but am not sure where to start, and
> as i do not want to do anything which includes
> registry yet, would the best method be write down
> details and google it?
> as i seem not to key in the correct words most times
> googling it turns into frustration...
> or ask thousands of questions of pf1? or is their a
> program or web page detailing the most common ones?
>
> i am prone to insatlling something and it does nt
> work or i dont like how it works and then
> unisntalling it only to find bits of it every
> where...
> but am more worried about the files that are empty or
> created or modified at odd hours when i would not be
> alive let alone able to modify them....

I will talk to you about the above & give you some tips on what to do on yahoo :)

> as also their are lots of things running in the
> background i was wondering if less is best for the
> puter ?

Depends on How fast you computer is & if it is loading slow then it has before.

> im trying to find things running in the back
> ground and why and do i use it or not etc...

Try Ctrl + alt+ del & you can find out what is running in the background
Then you need to get in to System configuration utility

beetle
05-08-2003, 05:14 PM
ok slightly off here but my puter man came and saw me about my personal computer and we discussed things to do before we void the warranty by touching anything.... with me?

he suggested i take off all applications / programs that i do not consider vital to my puter and also recommended i take off Adaware and Spybot as it may be causing issues with my puter also, and get rid of zonealarm too....

so have done that and apart from things being a bit faster as of yet i have not observed any major differences...

what i guess im getting at is if i had not updated everything in windows updates would i be haveing other problems with this puter ?
it apparently does not have a virus that we can find.....
and am wondering about SP1 ? will this be doing this much frustration / damage to the puter with mouse problems ? programs going to error boxes and shuting half way through?

or is at the puter guy said it may be a hardware problem and get rid of everything possible before i send it to PC co and they tell me to get rid of all the extra crap?

they may then say i caused it from this overload? and charge me for it?

not sure..... i seem to have lost the original train of thought and question here so bare with me, and any suggestions welcome...

?:|

beetle

Billy T
05-08-2003, 05:41 PM
> he suggested i take off all applications / programs
> that i do not consider vital to my puter and also
> recommended i take off Adaware and Spybot as it may
> be causing issues with my puter also, and get rid of
> zonealarm too....
>
> so have done that and apart from things being a bit
> faster as of yet i have not observed any major
> differences...

I reckon your computer man is touting for extra business beetle. There is no reason to take off Adaware or Spybot as they only run when you ask them to, and IMHO ZoneAlarm will not slow your computer down either.

What will slow it down will be all the adware & spyware that you accumulate as you surf. I am surprised he didn't recommend that you remove your Anti Virus as well, after all, that definitely does add an overhead that slows your computer down.

The best advice I can give you is to buy Norton Ghost or Drive Image and keep an image of your original set up as approved by your "Computer Man" or PC Co, plus one of your best working set up, then every time you try something out, if you decide you don't want to keep it, just load the image file back on and you are back where you started.

If you think you might need to claim on your warranty, just load back the original image and if the fault disappears you know it is something you did so just go back one image and you will be going again.

I make a fresh image before any program installation or wild computing experiment and then I can muck around to my heart's content without any worry at all. If I kill it completely, no sweat, just restore the image and I'm away again.

The only snag to this is that you either need to have two partitions or a second HDD as you can't image to the same partition or drive. You can image to a CD-R though, provided the image size will fit, but most imaging programs can span across two or more CDs anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beetle
05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
hi ya Scouse i have printed off a relevant (i presume ) page with details on it saying what these things are, (which will take me hours to decifer LOL)

so am onto it, not worried about fixing anything at this stage just trying to fit things into place when it comes to actually knowing what they do and why..... and if they are not supposed to be their worry about that after LOL

thanxs
beetle