PDA

View Full Version : Deleting wordpad

amazon
04-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi there, I have another thread in which I am having no end of trouble in stopping my word documents being saved in wordpad. I was wondering, since wordpad is rubbish to me and I never use it, can I delete it from my computer altogether? I have had no luck with fixing my problem, despite everyone's generous help. If I delete it, it may save properly then...any ideas regarding this?

stu140103
04-08-2003, 11:19 PM
> Hi there, I have another thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37942&message=186378#186378) in which I am having no end of trouble in stopping my word documents being saved in wordpad.

What version of MS word do you have??? & Are you saving them as a *.doc??? & What is your OS???

Sorry for the silly questions

>I was wondering, since wordpad is
> rubbish to me and I never use it, can I delete it
> from my computer altogether?

Word pad is a part of windows, so I do not think you can

> I have had no luck with
> fixing my problem, despite everyone's generous help.
> If I delete it, it may save properly then...any ideas
> regarding this?

Also can you e-mail me: stuartw77 *at* hotmail *dot* com

Jester
04-08-2003, 11:52 PM
It doesn't sound to me that all your documents are being 'saved in wordpad', just that when you open a document, whatever extension you have saved it as (the three letter after the file, like .doc / .rtf etc) defaults to opening in WordPad, rather than Word.

What happens when you open Word then go File / Open, and try that?

Have you tried actually changing the association with wordpad that your word .doc's seem to have? (as suggested on the other thread by Godfather and mikebartnz)

Are you actually saving the Word documents in the .doc format? Double check that they aren't saving in .rtf or .wps format, or if so, change these associations too.

Finally ... are you sure you have MS Word, and not MS Works? Is it Word 95, 97, 2000 or xp?

Good luck mate

J

Billy T
04-08-2003, 11:54 PM
Deleting Wordpad will probably not help you, so rather than deleting it, do a file search for wordpad.exe and rename it as Wordpad.ex_.

Then go back to your previous thread and follow the advice given there to associate your *.doc files with Word. Opening them can no longer bring up Wordpad so whatever happens we/you should get a clue to the source of your problem.

Hopefully Word will open instead. It is simply a file association problem so get those right and all should be well. Somewhere in your setup you have WP associated with doc file extensions.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jester
04-08-2003, 11:55 PM
*** we need an edit function here lol ***

... also, did you do the assignments on the same computer as you are opening them on? If not, maybe the version of Word is different, which can cause problems.

I personally save all Word docs as .rtf, so they can be opened in nearly any word processing program, and the file size is smaller too.

J

amazon
05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I have MS Word, not works. Don't know what version tho, and 98se. I have done everything on this computer only..and I found wordpad.exe, but how do I change the .exe to .ex?
I guess it seems trivial, but I find wordpad as much use as a chocolate teapot compared to Word itself...thank you, appreciate the help you give..

amazon
05-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Also.... in word it saves as the correct *doc thing...

amazon
05-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Well I found out how to rename it, so I did and tried saving a new word document...when I tried to open it a message came up saying "cannot locate wordpad.ex_ (new name) so I've changed it back to original again...

Jester
05-08-2003, 12:50 AM
another final thought before bedtime!

How about doing a search on your system for "normal.dot", and delete that. It is the blank Word document that opens when you create a new document, before you save it as something else. The program will re-create a new one next time you open Word.

It could be corrupted.

J.

exLL
05-08-2003, 01:11 AM
> another final thought before bedtime!
>
> How about doing a search on your system for
> "normal.dot", and delete that. It is the blank Word
> document that opens when you create a new document,
> before you save it as something else. The program
> will re-create a new one next time you open Word.
>
> It could be corrupted.
>
> J.

I hope the above fixes your problem. Whether it does or doesn't, you may want to learn all about "normal.dot". Here is a link which I found very interesting. It describes it very clearly and in great detail.

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=151]click ( [url) here[/url]

Billy T
05-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Ah Amazon, if only you would pause to contemplate the advice you have been given. The "can't find Wordpad.exe" was exactly what you were expected to get once the file was renamed. This stopped Wordpad from interfering with your attempts to open the document, and that would let you concentrate on getting the problem solved. At that point if you followed the advice given to you previously you would have done the "open with" procedure and selected Word.

Your file should then have opened in Word, and if you checked the "always use this program" (or whatever the exact words are) this result would have been set in place for all future attempts to open any Word docs. I suggest you rename it again and carry on sorting your original problem.

I don't think normal.dot will help as it is a document format, but you never know, I haven't needed to look that deeply into it.

If you haven't fixed your problem by the time you read this, I recommend that you copy and paste the advice given into a single file (use notepad to save further confusion) and print it out. Highlight the steps recommended then go through them methodically. Diagnosis is a process and there isn't always a magic bullet. More often than not you have to follow a methodical path eliminating options until you strike gold.

If all current suggestions fail, then we know you have a problem!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS I don't recall if you answered this when a previous poster suggested it, and I haven't time to go back and check right now, but what happens if you open Word first then try to open the document from within Word itself?