PDA

View Full Version : CD drive malfunction

kenpower
04-08-2003, 11:02 PM
The CD writer in my HP Pavilion has recently started to malfunction, and I am at a loss to understand what has gone wrong.
I have XP Home Edition on a 40 GB drive, 1.7GHz processor, 256MB PC 2100 DDR SD ram.
I subscribe to NZ PC World, and have of course made good use of the CD's which come each month with the magazine.
Now I find that not only the new CD's refuse to play, but I can no longer play the old ones which worked perfectly before.
When I insert the CD, the run up sounds normal, but it soon slows, and then seems to run very slowly, rhythmically almost stopping.
If I try "run" the computer freezes, and explorer shuts down.
Music CD's still play perfectly on insertion, and my grandsons game CD works fine.
In addition I now find that I can no longer burn copy discs properly. I have tried Media Player, HP Record Now, Real One, and Music Match, but whichever software I use, stops at 86%.
The process seems to be fine up to that point, and the resulting disc plays fine - but is short of the last track or two?
HELP!

vk_dre
05-08-2003, 12:22 AM
I think that the buffer becomes under-run around that point and causes ur drive to screw up. Try checking if the cables from the drive to the hdd are secure and in place properly. Was ur computer dropped recently or moved in an effect like that? Cos that could hav caused it.

cheers,
v.K

Graham L
05-08-2003, 06:39 PM
That doesn't explain the reading (mis)behaviour. Music CDs wil play despite lots of problems; computer data has to be read perfectly . The noises and slowing down are probably attempts to reread parts which haven't been read correctly.

The game disk working is a puzzle ... perhaps it's just a lucky concidence ... a small game perhaps, with a very high contrast CD.

A cleaning CD might help ... the reasonable quality ones cost about $20. But usually the lens isn't dirty ;-). I suppose if there's a heavy smoker in the room, that might be the case. :D

But CD Roms do "wear out". The output of the laser diode drops off, and the self-adjustment has a limited range.

kenpower
06-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Many thanks for the interest. No the computer has not been bumped, or even moved in the couple of years since I bought it.
A quick check reveals no loose connections.
Interestingly I now find that playing the music CD I was attempting to copy (a new one), the computer stops playing it about half way through the last but one track - the same place where the copy process stalls. That same CD plays fine on our stereo, but the NZ PC World disks refuse to run!
Thanks again.

kenpower
06-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the interest.
I quit smoking a long time ago! but the unit is under my desk, so I guess dust could have been a problem.
Bought a Laser Lense Cleaner CD, but no change.
Machine is only a couple of years old, and CD drive has not had a lot of use, but I guess I could still have developed a fault.
Have just discovered that the computer actually refuses to play the CD beyond the point where copying halts.
My guess was that a software setting somewhere needed a 'tweak' - perhaps as a result of one of the MS updates creating trouble, but I guess I will need to have the hardware checked out?
Thanks again,

vk_dre
06-08-2003, 11:24 PM
> That doesn't explain the reading (mis)behaviour.
> Music CDs wil play despite lots of problems;
> computer data has to be read perfectly . The
> noises and slowing down are probably attempts to
> reread parts which haven't been read correctly.

It doesnt, but i meant it for the following

>>In addition I now find that I can no longer burn copy discs properly. I >>have tried Media Player, HP Record Now, Real One, and Music Match, >>but whichever software I use, stops at 86%.

For the section where ur drive has trouble reading discs, if u have Arc CD, use it to test read speeds and data transfer to ur hdd. See if the speed stays constant while transferring. U can search for Arc on Google, but my neigbour gave it to me on a floppy, so i wouldnt know where to get it on the net. Sorry.